Featherstone Make a Difference Forum
December 08, 2021, 03:48:38 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Joe Harper Featherstone man and Pontefract MP

Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Joe Harper Featherstone man and Pontefract MP  (Read 903 times)
markha

« on: October 04, 2011, 04:55:26 pm »

My God, where were these found. Looking at the dates they were posted it looks as though someone must have disposed of them shortly after my Gran (Gwen) passed away last year. Thanks for putting these on. My Grandad (Joe) passed away in 1978 when was aged 10. I still have memories of his musical talents when we use to sit round the organ or piano. He could also be a strict disciplinarian. I have an old article somewhere, which my Gran gave me with information about his involvement in the community. He was a member of 11 commitees, and I recall my Gran telling me of all the people that use to come to the house in Bedford Close for various political reasons. He spent his working week at parliment in London then on a weekend would either drive or travel home by train, before returning to work on the Sunday. As an active political figure in the 70's it was difficult to find any reprieve from his working life. Even when visiting our house on Dixon Street, he would often be badgered by neighbours. I guess this was and still is the nature of being an MP. Surely all this pressure was a contributor to his early death at the age of 64.  Thankyou for reading, Mark Harper (joe's Grandson, son of Glyn).
Report Spam   Report to moderator   Logged

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum