Featherstone Make a Difference Forum
March 28, 2024, 07:11:49 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

PlayDay 2008

Pages: 1 2 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PlayDay 2008  (Read 1636 times)
yetion1
Administrator

READY

« on: April 02, 2008, 07:26:14 pm »

Playday 2007
Playday is the biggest annual play celebration in the country. On Playday each year, thousands of children take part in free play celebrations across the UK. Playday is partly about giving children and families a great day out, but it also aims to get across some serious messages about play and children.
This years Playday took place on Wednesday 1st of August.  The theme was “Our Streets Too” and involved reclaiming the streets as a space for children and young people to play. This is really important as the numbers of children and young people playing out in streets and local neighborhoods has decreased dramatically during recent years. The reasons for this include increased traffic levels, parental fears and public attitudes to children and young people out and about on the streets.
This year we held the main Playday event in the Wakefield precinct outside the cathedral and had 3 smaller satellite events in Hemsworth, Airedale and Stanley. The event was co-ordinated by Judy Morrissey and Natalie Baxter from the early year’s department in the Council and involved partnership working with a wide range of organizations including, other Council departments, the Wakefield District Play Forum, Groundwork, Extended Services Co-ordinator, local community groups, and the Pre School learning alliance.
We provided a wide range of free activities at the events for children and young people up to the age of 18, these included face painting, bouncy castles, DJ mixing, street dancing, skipping, hopscotch, heuristic play, jewellery making, arts and crafts, messy play, space hopper racing and pavement art.  We even had a giant Hula–Hoop–A-Thon and gave away 500 free hula-hoops for children to play with on the streets in their local neighborhoods. Children and their families were also able to visit Wakefield Council’s swimming pools on Playday where each child could claim their free swim.
A fantastic day was had by all and over 1000 children and young people and their families enjoyed a free day of play activities across the Wakefield district.

a play day is being organised on the 6th of August in Purston park. a couple of meetings have taken place with local communitty groups and study rovers. i will post the next meetings date shortly. all will be welcome.
Report Spam   Report to moderator   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Popeye

« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 09:44:11 pm »

Well I know a town council that will back this venue 100%
yetion1
Administrator

READY

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2008, 07:56:19 pm »

cheers. im on with a grant for them for it.

the next meeting for play day will be at the B+s club on Monday 12th may at 7 PM. all local voluntry and community groups are invited. any one at all that can offer help on the day is also welcome.
i am trying to get a team together to build up a marque on the morning and take it down. 7AM start and about 3 hours and 2PM for 2 hours. i need about 10 people. thats all you have to do or you can help more and help in the day.
yetion1
Administrator

READY

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2008, 03:54:37 pm »

just a reminder that its the play day meeting this monday 12th May 7pm at the B+S. Club Wilson Street  ALL WELCOME
yetion1
Administrator

READY

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2008, 11:03:43 am »

many thanks for the offer. its not all hard work. people are needed just to hold polls while the youngsters Grin run about.
Ruthie

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2008, 11:21:08 am »

i hope thats not aimed at me young yeti Grin
some of us youngsters have creaking joints too. . .

Mmmm.... Barbie Wink
yetion1
Administrator

READY

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 08:00:03 pm »

next meeting at the B+S club Wilson street at 7.00pm July 7th

posters will be available about mid July and available to all
yetion1
Administrator

READY

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2008, 07:55:59 pm »

the park is a huge area. hopefully some sports will be held. pick a sport and get some teams together as a suggestion to any group. use the adult cover to give your area a free day of fun. it could be just a game of rounders or giant connect 4.
yetion1
Administrator

READY

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2008, 09:54:50 pm »

posters and flyers are ready. anyone who could put up a poster please call in to the shop and pick some up.
we have some jobs up for grabs during the day but all replys must have CRB checks,
1. sand pit supervisor 4 hours.
2. bouncy castle supervisor 4 hours.
3. straw bails building 4 hours.
4. giant games ( drafts and chess etc) supervisor 4 hours.
5. someone to sit on the bus coming and going to keep order.

there will be a last meeting announced shortly. anyone interested should just reply.

Featherstonian
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2008, 10:09:01 pm »

i'll be there, looking forward to a great day.
Popeye

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2008, 08:36:37 am »

Is the next meeting still planned for Thursday 31st at the B & S.

A few people are asking how they can join the free bus, are there tickets for it or is it just stopping to pick up till its full Huh
yetion1
Administrator

READY

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2008, 07:22:12 pm »

there is a final playday meeting on Thursday 31st at 7pm at the B+S Club, Wilson street, Featherstone. as ever all are welcome including anyone wishing to help on the day.

the bus is free and needs no tickets. you just turn up on the day at the time on the poster. the map shows pick up points. on the day the pick up points will have a playday poster by the stops. the bus will have a member of staff who is CRB checked on it during the whole route.

please ask any more questions as its now or never Grin
yetion1
Administrator

READY

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2008, 09:10:14 pm »

it gets better. it has come to my attention that the small part of the money asked for from the town council towards the day was oppossed by Bill Mulroe (labour) on the grounds that Jo Conney was not a proper offical. what a load of rubbish. If it was not for Jo Coney who is a WMDC officer and a good one who cares like us, then Featherstone would have never seen this event.

it gets better still as Bill Mulroe passed the same type of grant for more money to the Rovers to hold the same event but with an admission fee. the person running the event works with study Rovers and Jo Coney.

what a shame. all we wish to do is play out with our kids for a few hours. there is some rearly sad people out there.
yetion1
Administrator

READY

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2008, 10:04:00 pm »

i am looking for 2 sets of small football goals and nets to make an extra pitch.

if you know of some please ask Grin
karen

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2008, 02:30:32 pm »

its saying sun shine and showers for tomorrow hope the rain stays away
Ruthie

« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2008, 05:33:41 pm »

Today was brill!!

One of the best days of the summer so far i should say Smiley

Both Children and Parents alike enjoyed the fun and games and those that didn't, or couldn't come for what ever reason really missed out on a special day.

Also, a big pat on the back to all those that were up before the crack of dawn to help set up, and those (who were basicaly the same team) who helped clear up afterwards Cheesy

A good day for Community Spirit if i do say so myself Smiley

Mmmm.... Barbie Wink
ABBOO

"The King"

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2008, 06:37:28 pm »

It was one of the best turn outs for a long time as well and as you say ruthie one of the best days that some people missed and it was brilliant for all ages of kids and their parents.  And what a day Grin Grin Grin Grin
yetion1
Administrator

READY

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2008, 07:15:23 pm »

for the first one i think it went very well.

the helpers were fantastic. more help than ever and a huge amount of effort put in. a huge thanks from me.

it dont take a lot to please our youth, just a little engagement goes a long way, plus providing youth items. who would think straw bails would be so good?

i am sorry for no food van, Leeds United and the fire service off site. the food? 3 were ordered. Leeds United you will hear about more as i have not finished with them yet, they owe our kids, and the ground was to soft for the fire engine. that will be sorted by next time Wink

Popeye

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2008, 08:49:24 pm »

Absolutly brilliant day guys, thanks for asking me and my gang to help. The ''others'' have a lot to own up to but they will try and salvage summat out of this, Bet next years will be even better.

Sorry about the straw bails Ruthie, needed some spinach.
Ruthie

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2008, 08:54:26 pm »

Sorry about the straw bails Ruthie, needed some spinach.

No worries, im always happy to help out if im needed again Smiley

Just a quick point Popeye, dont mix your Spinach with Olive Oil Wink
hehehe

sorry, couldn't resist it Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Mmmm.... Barbie Wink
Pages: 1 2 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum