Featherstone Make a Difference Forum
March 29, 2024, 07:06:12 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Shops in Featherstone

Pages: 1 2 3 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shops in Featherstone  (Read 3206 times)
yetion1
Administrator

READY

« on: April 02, 2008, 07:20:43 pm »

this is a great bit of history provided by an old member,

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
when I was a kid in the 1950s you got your:
meat from Ralph and Luke Asquiths. They had these pint mugs that they supped as they were serving you a quarter tea and a quarter whisky, as the day wore on they'd have more and more platers on their fingers. Their shop became John Hills-John was their apprentice. But this wasn't their first shop. Originally it was on the other side of the road. The shop which became John Hills was Timothy White and taylor's Chemists.

you got your groceries from the co-op(divi number 6134). I always tried to get served by Allan tennant's sister. They used to make their own sugar bags out of blue paper and there were sides of bacon hanging from the ceiling

newspapers and toys were from Dransfields, their shop was knocked down to make way for the precinct and they moved to the current one.

fruit and veg was from Derry's or walt Booth's grand dad's shop, or Evan's in the lane.

hardware and fishing tackle was from haikings in the lane.

haberdashery was from Miss Cliff's

You could have a bet at eigher Ken varley's on Green Lane or Charlie rayboild's on Station lane-both were members of the BPA.

clothes were from Mynetts

haircuts were eithe from geortge 'The Butcher' Bell("I don't do 'em in their pit muck) on Green lane, the rather more swish 'Smithies in the lane-he looked like Bob Monkhouse and carried on like teasy weassy-the Rovers players went there), or the more down to earth Sammy Lowe's (what shift's thi father on?). he used to singe peoples' hair with a naked flame: awesome.

Electrical good were from jacksons who also had the radio relay.

Off Licences were Tommy Keenan's of Cooks.

there what more could you need?
Report Spam   Report to moderator   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Forkhandles

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008, 04:25:30 pm »

I used to get my catty lastic from haikings, and you could get a fresh baked loaf from dartons bakery, that was where graham and press are now, and its still the original building Tongue Grin
eleanora

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2008, 08:35:09 pm »

hi
you forgot ,Toby Masons,on the corner of crossley st,
my mam used to pay a  bob every week so me n me brother could go in on xmas eve to pick our chocs, instead of  getting selection boxes,
i can smell the chocolate n tobacco now  Grin
Forkhandles

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2008, 08:54:28 pm »

I remember toby masons eleanora, i lived in crossley street in the early fifties, who remembers the fish shop at the far end of crossley street, it was coal fired Grin
ABBOO

"The King"

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2008, 11:23:26 pm »

Hey Forkhandles can you remember the Launderette and Goff's shop on the front of Nostell view on the front of the Sqaure Grin Grin
Forkhandles

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2008, 11:53:33 pm »

Hey Forkhandles can you remember the Launderette and Goff's shop on the front of Nostell view on the front of the Sqaure Grin Grin
Sure can pauline Grin
eleanora

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2008, 08:56:09 am »

I remember toby masons eleanora, i lived in crossley street in the early fifties, who remembers the fish shop at the far end of crossley street, it was coal fired Grin
i do forkhandles,their scallops were the best,mmmmm chips n mushy peas.
there was also a shop in the middle of albert st.
Forkhandles

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2008, 12:30:56 pm »

Correct eleanora, i remember that too Grin Grin
eleanora

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2008, 06:57:49 pm »

How about pollards on the other side of albert st, i can remember going in for puncture outfits for my push bike & sweets n ice creams ,they seemed to sell allsorts, including airfix models  Wink
Mr T

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2008, 09:28:08 pm »

Let's see, what can I remember? I can remember Liptons supermarket, then it went to Presto's, Malcolms the bakers, Hillards! I can't think about many as I am only a spring chicken yet...well....ish! Oh I can remember Evan's fruit & veg shop, they always had rabbits hanging outside!

"I PITY THE FOOL"
Ruthie

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2008, 09:32:56 pm »

If your a spring chicken i dont think i've hatched!
I dont remeber any old shops. . . but i do remember this one big shop. . . it was called a supermarket!

The only shops i can remember are the shops that are still there i think, or the ones that have closed and swapped hands in the last few years, other then that, everythings over my head, i keep asking my 'rents where everything use to be Smiley

Mmmm.... Barbie Wink
Forkhandles

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2008, 09:38:59 pm »

Just a small correction mrT, liptons was where juals is now, and malcolms was where featherstone anglers is now, before it was liptons it was broughs, and before malcolms it was melias grocers.
Mr T

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2008, 09:43:58 pm »

I can see where you have mis-read it cos I have continued one after another! I knew where they all were, I didn't mean they were all one after another! Thanks anyway! I also remember going into the sweet shop (where the new carpet shop is now) and getting a mix up (remember those 2P pink shrimps you could buy?) from his all glass counter! Oh Happy Days  Smiley

"I PITY THE FOOL"
Forkhandles

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2008, 08:56:34 am »

I can see where you have mis-read it cos I have continued one after another! I knew where they all were, I didn't mean they were all one after another! Thanks anyway! I also remember going into the sweet shop (where the new carpet shop is now) and getting a mix up (remember those 2P pink shrimps you could buy?) from his all glass counter! Oh Happy Days  Smiley
Wink Grin
ABBOO

"The King"

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2008, 02:04:59 pm »

I can remember Ted Amery's shop opposite the Girnhill Lane WMC, and the tattoo shop also opposite the club
eleanora

« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2008, 02:16:30 pm »

Me too pauline, & Johnsons up girnhill lane,
what about the one next door to yours on the front of nostell view,
can't remember the launderette though,but can remember the doctor's surgery nearer the traffic lights
ABBOO

"The King"

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2008, 07:21:52 pm »

I can remember Sheards opposite Purston park, Harrisons at the end of  Gordon St and the Chemist at the bottom of the lane where the Travel agents is.  Also i can remember old Sammy Lowes where Yeti's shop is cause i used to go and get my hair cut. Grin Grin Grin
Featherstonian
Administrator

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2008, 07:29:59 pm »

I remember Sheards, my gran used to live round the corner, and we used to take our pocket money and buy sherbert fountains.
 We also made the mistake as kids of going into Sammy Lowes shop on a Saturday. He made us wait untill all the men had been cut before making us sit on that plank of wood across the chair arms. He made Kids wait because they could come at any time and working men couldn't.
ABBOO

"The King"

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2008, 11:44:00 pm »

But them was the days feath weren't they when you could buy a lot for very litttle Grin Grin
eleanora

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2008, 09:13:09 am »

i remember in the early 70's a  little sweet shop across the road from the travs i think its a sandwich shop now ,we used to go to the youth club at the school then to the travs for a drink no achohol of course Grin, i was only 15/16,
then we'd nip over the road get some sweets & a ice lolly & a packet of bovril crisps  run back over to the travs & have a dance to, slade, sweet, wizzard ect at  sid's disco
oh happy days

Pages: 1 2 3 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum