Featherstone Make a Difference Forum
March 28, 2024, 06:11:45 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Shops in Featherstone

Pages: « 1 2 3 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shops in Featherstone  (Read 3158 times)
eleanora

« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2008, 09:16:42 am »

there was a shop on ponte road as well on the left hand side going towards the high school,it's a house now just near the white house pub, the daughter of the family who run it was in my year at school,long time ago Cry
Report Spam   Report to moderator   Logged
Forkhandles

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2008, 11:22:52 am »

The shop opposite the travs was prices, they went round with a ice cream van, and their slogan on the van was, prices ices, the shop just past the white house, eventually became a barbers shop belonging to foxes, a bit further up from prices, there was a cobblers shop on the end of a row of terraces, that was cobbler thompson, he could be found sitting in the jug and bottle at the travs most nights Grin Grin
eleanora

« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2008, 08:06:22 am »

well done forkhandles,
my memory is playing up a bit at the mo, PRICES  of course, yes thier ice cream was  very creamy with icy bits in lovely  Grin
Forkhandles

« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2008, 06:25:15 pm »

Yes mate, i remember dagnalls shop on little lane, before it was dagnalls it belonged to fennels, the family of famous rovers player jackie fennel, and billy bingleys fish oil, opposite the park, can't recall the name of the shop opposite the laundrette Grin
karen

« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2008, 10:27:51 pm »

i remember dagnells shop realey well i remember when they moved to brid and baught a guest house alma jon n sue they have been gone for some years now
yetion1
Administrator

READY

« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2008, 07:43:39 pm »

i have recently bumped into 2 great history buffs. one thing both recall is about 1940s at north featherstone cross roads. there was some steps that led througth the wall in an arched opening that had a wooden hut just behind it. the hut was not tall as the man working there was almost a midget. his name was Charly Button and he was a cobbler. the guy who told me used to go there as a kid and get a warm by the stove.
there are no known pictures of this hut. can you help?
Forkhandles

« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2008, 08:18:48 pm »

I remember charlie button well, he used to be a regular sight, standing at the crossroads for hours on end just watching the world go by, he stood under 5ft.
ABBOO

"The King"

« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2008, 08:35:24 pm »

Hey Forkhandles can you remember old George Barker the mobile shop that used to come round on Mon Wed Fri And Saturdays It used to be Harry Turners before him he used to live at Nostell Priory.  Grin Grin Grin
Forkhandles

« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2008, 08:46:51 pm »

Yes, i can remember george barker, but not harry turner, i've only lived down here for 30 years, i'm a purstonite Grin Grin
ABBOO

"The King"

« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2008, 08:49:19 pm »

I think Harry retired about 1970-1975 but i can't actually remember when he retired myself mate  Grin Grin
karen

« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2008, 09:43:12 pm »

wasent that old mr prices shop
Forkhandles

« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2008, 09:50:02 pm »

Does anyone know of a shop in station lane, that used to be owned by a lady called matilda cole, now this was in the early part of the 1900's so its a long shot, but i'd be greatful for any help Grin
Ruthie

« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2008, 09:57:24 pm »

I know im a tad on the young side for this one, but i've been asked to ask you by my parents if you know what kind of shop it was, or what kind of goods it sold Smiley

Mmmm.... Barbie Wink
claytonroyston

« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2008, 10:40:50 am »

about the greengrocers in the lane.the first one at the bottom of the lane was Harry Darbyshires ,Harry also had a horse and cart which he stabled at the old mill pond he sold fruit and veg all aroundfeatherstone
The next one was just below yetties shop ,Jack Hodgkiss had that one jack had a very bad stammer and as kids we used to go in just to hearhim talk. carry on across the road to Kay Binnerslys shop that was owned by Rycrofts they must have been the longest servingshopkeepers in the lane,if not them it must be Sammy Lowe
Last one was Tommy Evans Tommy always had his fruit and veg displayed outside he must have got as much pinched as he sold. we did not venture over the crossings when we were kids ,below the crossings was ours over the crossings was theirs good old days

royboy

Fev has changed too much :S
RainbowWarrior

« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2008, 11:34:19 pm »

The shop opposite the Travellers pub which is now the sandwich shop was Price's and they made their own ice cream it was fantastic.
The newsagents at the other side of Purston Post Office was Malpass's and they sold wallpaper and paint as well as being a newsagents. Before that it was Cadman's and ther was a couple of petrol pumps there. Next door where the bookie's is now was Walker's ,they sold fruit and veg as well as fresh fish. Where Purston Cars showroom is was the Co-op they sold tub butter in a slab and sugar in blue bags. It always smelt of fresh ground coffee. Iris Hartley would call at your house on Monday for your order and Fred Broome would deliver it on Friday.

i'm now 60 and proud of it.
RainbowWarrior

« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2008, 10:22:15 am »

Just remembered ! The shop on Wentbridge Road that is now the hairdressers used to be a corner shop run by a lady called Pat. She had 3 Oxo Tins with sweets in . In old money they were the 1/2d, 1d,and 2d tins. Fry's chocolate bars and Caramac were 3d.

When Dagnells had the shop on Little Lane they sold clothes from the back room and called it a "Boutique".
When Fennells had the same shop part of it was a hairdresses where Joan Fennell did ladies hair.

RainbowWarrior

« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2008, 10:30:01 am »

Does anyone remember the shop near dransfield old shop where the precinct is where you could get a fish and a peneth. Where was Daisy Goode's fish shop and May Lumb's fish shop. Lovely fish and chips but all long gone.

karen

« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2008, 07:30:23 pm »

Just remembered ! The shop on Wentbridge Road that is now the hairdressers used to be a corner shop run by a lady called Pat. She had 3 Oxo Tins with sweets in . In old money they were the 1/2d, 1d,and 2d tins. Fry's chocolate bars and Caramac were 3d.

When Dagnells had the shop on Little Lane they sold clothes from the back room and called it a "Boutique".
When Fennells had the same shop part of it was a hairdresses where Joan Fennell did ladies hair.
i lived up there as i was growing up and we allways used to go there dont know what it was but it allways had a funny smell to it
seneca bond

« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2011, 09:52:08 pm »

this is a great bit of history provided by an old member,

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
when I was a kid in the 1950s you got your:
meat from Ralph and Luke Asquiths. They had these pint mugs that they supped as they were serving you a quarter tea and a quarter whisky, as the day wore on they'd have more and more platers on their fingers. Their shop became John Hills-John was their apprentice. But this wasn't their first shop. Originally it was on the other side of the road. The shop which became John Hills was Timothy White and taylor's Chemists.

you got your groceries from the co-op(divi number 6134). I always tried to get served by Allan tennant's sister. They used to make their own sugar bags out of blue paper and there were sides of bacon hanging from the ceiling

newspapers and toys were from Dransfields, their shop was knocked down to make way for the precinct and they moved to the current one.

fruit and veg was from Derry's or walt Booth's grand dad's shop, or Evan's in the lane.

hardware and fishing tackle was from haikings in the lane.

haberdashery was from Miss Cliff's

You could have a bet at eigher Ken varley's on Green Lane or Charlie rayboild's on Station lane-both were members of the BPA.

clothes were from Mynetts

haircuts were eithe from geortge 'The Butcher' Bell("I don't do 'em in their pit muck) on Green lane, the rather more swish 'Smithies in the lane-he looked like Bob Monkhouse and carried on like teasy weassy-the Rovers players went there), or the more down to earth Sammy Lowe's (what shift's thi father on?). he used to singe peoples' hair with a naked flame: awesome.

Electrical good were from jacksons who also had the radio relay.

Off Licences were Tommy Keenan's of Cooks.

there what more could you need?

much appreciated, that was me in another incarnation.

Forkhandles

« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2011, 08:47:49 pm »

Haikings!! we used to get our catty elastic from there  Grin Grin

Pages: « 1 2 3 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum