Featherstone Make a Difference Forum
March 28, 2024, 05:52:55 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

WAR MEMORIAL

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WAR MEMORIAL  (Read 10581 times)
yetion1
Administrator

READY

« Reply #80 on: December 08, 2010, 09:28:33 pm »

This might be wrong place to suggest this, for next year is there any possiblities of a marquee being put up nearby...just in case of bad weather.
As we can't rely on the weather a marquee or ask Pete at Top House in case of rain. As all the children did get soaked and most of them spent rest of day at school in wet clothes and PE kits...and it would be a shame tp lose the support of the schools ...just a suggestion

Sorry for the late reply but you do have a good idea. The wind would have been a problem anyway but a possible emegency cover should be talked about this next year. Should just take getting heads together. Grin
Report Spam   Report to moderator   Logged
yetion1
Administrator

READY

« Reply #81 on: December 14, 2010, 08:17:23 pm »

Just thought this the right place to post as the fund raisers are the same people.
Well done. I mighty total that i hope the idiots dont pick fault with as usual.

fugodsake

« Reply #82 on: December 15, 2010, 12:38:44 pm »

That's fantastic.  The people of Featherstone should feel very proud!  Smiley
yetion1
Administrator

READY

« Reply #83 on: April 27, 2011, 08:10:46 pm »

gillmul

« Reply #84 on: June 09, 2011, 11:20:01 pm »

I was really enjoying reading this, and as someone whos brothers name is on the memorial is eternaly grateful and indebted to featherstone for such a wonderful recognition to all who put in so much work and effore, the war memorial is a credit to the town, and to our lost heros, over 40 members of my brothers regiment attended that day, and a very moving day it was, may i also take the oppertunity to congratulate the people that contribute to the upkeep, it looks stunning!

but now i feel sick that what started as a wonderful positive thread regarding the war heros, the good work of men and paying respects had by page 6 been turned inot yet another slagging off of the labour party and each other,

Im sorry but this is too far, im saddened to read any more,  

how can you talk about heros,  respecting the dead, how men gave up their lives for our freedom one second and then in the same thread use it to score points against each other, Im gutted that you have used our war dead to do this for that purpose and you should hang your heads in shame!!

this is how you respect them? is this what their memory means? is this what they faught for? you may as well have spat on their graves? just an excuse at smear campaign, how would any of you feel reading this? you have no respect for each other let alone our war dead, I have spen years fund raising for the Army Benevolent Fund and have ment many a hero, I attended many a funeral after the loss some of friends in afghan too, all of them worth 1000 of you!

why could you now show these men the respect the deserved and slagged each other off on another thread? and left this one alone? you all are too qucik to big yourself, massage your own egos that you cant see the damage you are doing, and the damage and hurt you are causing others.....

I hope on rememberance sunday each of you all lay a wreath. bow your head (in shame) and ask for their forgivness, cause you do not deserve to lick their boots......

QS
san!

« Reply #85 on: June 10, 2011, 10:07:09 am »

well said GillMUL...my centiments exactly!!! some things in life are too sacred!
we all should work together for the good of Featherstone and the big wide world!
yetion1
Administrator

READY

« Reply #86 on: June 10, 2011, 08:41:21 pm »

Dear Gill
Arguments often happen on this forum on certain threads. You may be surprised I agree in part with what you are saying. We can argue the toss else where on this forum.
You would be surprised how much respect I personally hold for all our armed forces and especially those individuals who have made the ultimate sacrifice especially for Featherstone. I am genuinely very sorry for your own loss.

Glad you arrived anyway a fresh view is always welcome. Please don’t take this detrimentally but the facts are recorded facts. The War Memorial Gardens have been plagued with complaints since the first plan was drawn up, mainly 99% from one political party and their friends. I agree this is outrageous as the complaints are illegitimate and just for others gain.

As one of many hundreds of nobody people that simply appreciates what has been achieved in the memory of those I respect I also feel this is absolutely disrespectful and sickening. What else can the common person do to stop the idiots but fight as you can? The local press wont print the truth so what do you do? The record so far brought you here. Again please do not take the wrong way but your skills with the female gob could help. Please ask about what really goes on. You may have more to offer than you realize. Grin
gillmul

« Reply #87 on: June 10, 2011, 10:13:35 pm »

I dont care about he said, she said, they said, or who said what, please just take responsibility for yourself, thats all you need to do, be accountable for just you, you have contributed and played your part, why do people need to blame there own actions on that of others?
that just looks like a buck pass? was not my fault, it was theres? its was everyone else not me!

I think they fought and died to give you much more than that!
yetion1
Administrator

READY

« Reply #88 on: June 11, 2011, 09:17:29 pm »

yetion1
Administrator

READY

« Reply #89 on: April 05, 2012, 09:21:16 pm »

Sadly the memorial gardens have been attacked. Just as the spring blooms opened on the tulips vandals have knocked the heads off. Shocked
May be a bit harsh but a head for a head sounds in order! Hope some names turn up.
Forkhandles

« Reply #90 on: April 06, 2012, 12:11:41 pm »

Sadly the memorial gardens have been attacked. Just as the spring blooms opened on the tulips vandals have knocked the heads off. Shocked
May be a bit harsh but a head for a head sounds in order! Hope some names turn up.

I bloody despair...i really do Sad
Paul

« Reply #91 on: July 12, 2013, 07:30:34 pm »

I think enough is enough. It is time something was done. After the last weeks events I have gotten off my bottom and now joined the Royal British Legion.
I am not one to put pen to paper. I am a better helper. My week started helping out at a fund raising stall at Featherstone Gala. I arrived early and just like the people next to me in a row were directed to a place to set up a stall by someone called Bond. Shortly after A man came up to the War Memorial stall next to us. I am not going to go in to detail but let’s just say that the comments the man made were offensive. The poor War Memorial people were being asked to move. The response given by them to the man was very polite. The replies were not. I would have used stronger words if someone had talked to me like that. I later found out the man was a council person called Bill Mulroe. After a few minutes Mr Mulroe walked away.
Obviously my interest increased when returned Mr Mulroe shortly after with a Police woman. Mr Mulroe was pointing his finger and loudly accusing a man on the War memorial stall of threatening him. I couldn’t believe what I was listening to as I had listened to the previous conversation. The police woman went away shortly after my input along with another stall that had also been listening. We had a great day and raised over a hundred pounds for a local group I support. I would mention who they are but I have no wish that my actions cause any harm with repercussions.
I have thought about the goings on at the Gala all week. What finally I suppose made me see red was an article in the Evening post. If you have seen this you can see a sour faced person pictured and many comments and a one sided story. The motive I just have to question and the reason I have now offered my help.
Please leave the War memorial Gardens alone and simply enjoy them for what they are. How much improvement in Featherstone could be achieved if the same negative energy was used else where?
It is now my intention to make sure as many people as I meet get to know what is actually going on as I find out.
yetion1
Administrator

READY

« Reply #92 on: July 12, 2013, 08:25:24 pm »

That’s awful but not surprising. Good on you for joining and making a difference. Grin
gillmul

« Reply #93 on: July 13, 2013, 09:32:29 am »

[quote author=Paul link=topic=40.msg10210#msg10210 date=1373653834

What finally I suppose made me see red was an article in the Evening post. If you have seen this you can see a sour faced person pictured and many comments and a one sided story. The motive I just have to question and the reason I have now offered my help.
Please leave the War memorial Gardens alone and simply enjoy them for what they are. How much improvement in Featherstone could be achieved if the same negative energy was used else where?
It is now my intention to make sure as many people as I meet get to know what is actually going on as I find out.
[/quote]

you should be ashamed of your comments Paul, completely disrespectful and I would cancel your membership for the RBL, as I know they will not support your comments!! "Sour Faced" have you lost a son while he was serving? did you ever get that knock on the door? is your sons name on the war memorial? I take it your are qualified and can share the empathy needed here to pass such a personal judgement call?? you truly should be ashamed of such awful, distasteful and disrespectful comments to someone who has paid the ultimate sacrifice through the loss of his son.

you question Motive?? are you kidding me?? you dont even see the importance of this do you???

As for the War Memorial, it is just that, not an advertising board for businesses, the rear of the memorial would have been more of an apt place to put business names, if you actually respected our war dead, you would also understand this, Civvis should not be on it, they have no place there.... the clue is in the name WAR MEMORIAL, you dont see " donated by Tesco" next to the Cenopath do you??? it is not business support group and I don't understand how someone who gave £50 is now eternally next to the people who gave their life, the issue we have is a moral one, the RBL need to tread carefully as they may come across as hard faced and un caring as your representation of them suggests!! 

unfortunately your comments will completely discredit any argument you may have had along with using your membership with the RBL as weight to give your comments more importance, it doesn't, it just shows that the only person here whos motive I would question is yours! 

PS, I along with Dad, Mum and my Sister have raised over £40k for H4H and the ABF, we have asked for no plaque or gratitude, we did it because people have given and are giving on a daily basis their lives, including my brother and 3 of his wonderful friends, so you can exercise your right to the very freedom of speech they have very kindly gifted to you..... QS
Forkhandles

« Reply #94 on: July 13, 2013, 09:32:56 pm »

Well said Gill.
yetion1
Administrator

READY

« Reply #95 on: July 15, 2013, 08:08:13 pm »

Dont worry Paul. The barks worse than the bite. Roll Eyes

Interesting quote from Cllr Taylor "If my business had its name on the wall of the Memorial Garden I would be demanding its removal immediately. It is a lovely garden and the amount of hard work done in it is a credit to the people involved but it is being badly tarnished by the presence of these names".

Should a Cllr comment on such matters? If there is so much alleged "tarnish" perhaps the whole thing should be knocked down and the parts returned to the donators? It would make it easier for someone to build the row of houses that already exist as a document.
Labour party happy and end of argument. Roll Eyes
Oh sorry, its nothing to do with that is it? Roll Eyes
yetion1
Administrator

READY

« Reply #96 on: July 30, 2013, 08:32:34 pm »

Interesting that Cllr Taylors Face Book profile changed very quickly after the last comment including his picture wearing the Featherstone Council Mayor chains an unusual quote. Roll Eyes

The lengths some political parties will go to in Featherstone just gets sadder and sadder.
Wouldn’t have thought much more about the latest slur campaign if it wasn’t for a lovely old Featherstone lady I met in the street today.
After the 80 plus lady had finished her emotional and colorful outburst I could not ne intrigued by her comments. By the sounds of it on Saturday morning at the Christian church on Wilson street there was a coffee morning as usual. What had offended the lady were the labour party council people who were going around the people at the meeting. The Labour lot were spinning a yarn yet again about the war memorial and asking people to sign a petition. The 80 plus year old lady was definitely not having it. She quoted a petition that she had been sent on the internet. She was already furious that the internet petition has an incorrect write up about its meaning that is one sided and avoids the facts such as the memorial wall in the garden is just that. The sponsor’s plaques are 180% away from these on separate walls. The lady was also infuriated that the comments she had read were from people who had not actually seen the memorial.
Good to the ladies word she sent me the link which made me chuckle knowing she is 80 plus and able to use the internet and send an e-email. Have to say I agree with her comments. If someone has an issue they have a right to peruse what ever avenue they wish so long as it is honest and none political. From what can be read so far this is not the case.
So the reason Featherstone is again falling further and further behind with every aspect of regeneration looks to be simply that the elected cllrs are to busy with false holy grails.
Looks like its back to people power. Recon banners above shops advertising “come in and sign a petition for many Featherstone problems” would get some good national press. One banner per shop per problem.
Interesting the labour lot only ask a majority senior collection. Wonder what the reaction would be if they asked every business on Station Lane.
yetion1
Administrator

READY

« Reply #97 on: September 16, 2013, 08:19:34 pm »

Looks like the War memorial gardens have not only won best garden they have also won best community group. Grin
And so they should. Grin
Bet that has got right up Cllr Mulroes nose. Grin Lips sealed
yetion1
Administrator

READY

« Reply #98 on: September 23, 2013, 07:28:54 pm »

WDH are running a vote for various categories across our district.
The Featherstone War Memorial and Garden Group have two categories you can vote for.

http://www.lovewhereyouliveawards.co.uk/
Old Stonian

« Reply #99 on: September 24, 2013, 01:50:39 pm »

Who's going to clear the weeds round the St Thomas Road memorial before they get out of hand?

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum