Featherstone Make a Difference Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:08:14 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

WAR MEMORIAL

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WAR MEMORIAL  (Read 10671 times)
yetion1
Administrator

READY

« on: March 28, 2008, 08:44:08 pm »

i was led to believe thatwork would start 4 weeks ago. it did but in the board room. screen boards should be going up this monday 31st.
Report Spam   Report to moderator   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Featherstonian
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 11:16:51 pm »

its a fantastic achievement, well done do everybody concerned.
yetion1
Administrator

READY

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2008, 09:10:33 pm »

the foundations are almost done. the brick work is due to start shortly. due to some little gits evening security is now on site. the builders have asked the public to pass around that anyone seen in the site after 5pm looking like they should not be there is reported to the police. looks like the publics eyes are needed. Cool
rapper67

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 04:05:49 pm »

thats great news about the war memorial it will be a great tribute to all the heros that fell. So lets be extra vigilant.
Popeye

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 06:39:36 pm »

I truly hope it will be a great day for all of Featherstone, whoever turns up, turns up for their own reasons. I would like to think that we all enjoy the event and nothing spoils the work that has been contributed to a momentuous finally. Lets pay our respects and thanks to our fallen hero's. Its the British Legions moment to finally lay to rest their comrades, let them enjoy the day friends.
Forkhandles

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 07:11:10 pm »

Well said popeye, lets show some of that wartime spirit and stand together Lips sealed Wink
yetion1
Administrator

READY

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 09:54:29 pm »

now we are talkin Grin

the brick layers are due in this week. 3 teams in all. im looking forward to all these peoples work coming together.
Forkhandles

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2008, 10:10:43 am »

Can someone give us the true picture of whats happening with the war memorial, not a brick has been laid yet, and theres all sorts of rumours flying about, but personally i don't think they're going to meet the deadline, theres just to much to do, in so short a time Huh
yetion1
Administrator

READY

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2008, 07:38:07 pm »

What a mixed day the memorial has had. I was asked to call by and change the gate lock as someone had been at it. This job was not tendered for it was free at my choice. I was very pleased to see 8 plus bodies laying bricks with other labourers at a fair old pace.
Sadly a problem has occurred with the build that will delay it further. With the Best will in the world the builders can sort the problem but the time left to complete has given cause for concern. The builders called an emergency meeting this afternoon and have asked for a delay in the finishing date. All agree the job could be done but wish more so to do a slower more perfect job. The exact words were on the lines of “the memory of our war hero’s deserves the best and a little more time will allow that.”
Work is continuing at a fair old pace and a new opening date will be announced soon. my opinion is it can take a year. the finished product is going to be something for the town to brag about.
Mr T

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2008, 08:17:21 pm »

I think it would be better for them to take their time and build a top notch memorial than rush to meet the opening date and just throw it up  Smiley

"I PITY THE FOOL"
yetion1
Administrator

READY

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2008, 09:55:34 pm »

after leaving the people concerned to get on with it the results are starting to show, its looking great. the following are pictures from the past few weeks,

22 courses up,

13th June,

26th June

27th June

karen

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2008, 09:56:15 pm »

is there a date when this will be finished does anyone know
yetion1
Administrator

READY

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2008, 10:49:31 pm »

an opening date has not been released as yet. it will come from the war memorial committee shortly.
karen

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2008, 07:19:32 pm »

its looking very nice at the min carnt wait to see what its like when its done
yetion1
Administrator

READY

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2008, 09:56:57 pm »

I saw a crane on site last week. After asking why, it was to move the miner’s water feature memorial to its new position. I have heard it is to be re-plumbed in. I spoke to someone this week that used to use it to drink from as a child whilst playing.

After talking to people on site I got the impression that they were motivated in the way that drives me. Because of a labour party member trying to bring down the whole project and stop any financial help all concerned are determined more to do it them selves. Old men have taken up the shovel to remember their friends. I have been invited to the opening and it will be only the end of the world that stops me remember the heart these men and woman had and have.

New block paving has been going down this week. British legion members aged 70 plus have been digging over the flower area and planting donations from Spring Green and Victoria nurseries. God bless them. I wish I had more time to help.
yetion1
Administrator

READY

« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2008, 09:44:11 pm »

The details are arriving this week. This is what I know so far,

The opening date for the War Memorial is the 5th of October 2008.

There will be free parking at Featherstone Rovers ground. A parade will start gathering at Cressys Corner at 10am. The parade will set off at 10.30am. It will arrive at the war memorial and a minutes silence will be held at 11.00am

The parade will then go to the rugby ground where Lord St. Oswald will take a salute and present Veterans medals

There will be a fly past at 12.50 hours by a World War 2 “bulldog”.

There will be military vehicles on parade and various amusements for children both young and old.

The red arrows are coming but await a time.

Sounds good.
karen

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2008, 10:23:33 pm »

yes it does just hope evrything goes to plan this time
ABBOO

"The King"

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2008, 02:33:27 pm »

Look at this http://www.militaryfactory.com/aircraft/detail.asp?aircraft_id=137
yetion1
Administrator

READY

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2008, 05:35:34 pm »

looks like a very historical plane. well found. i had no idea what it looked like. should look great flying over.
ABBOO

"The King"

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2008, 07:12:35 pm »

I hope it is that one that's flying over it will look brilliant, because it's a nice looking plane. Grin Grin Grin Grin

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum