Featherstone Make a Difference Forum
April 18, 2024, 10:41:05 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Featherstone and the Out of Pocket King

Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Featherstone and the Out of Pocket King  (Read 320 times)
Ruthie

« on: August 18, 2008, 01:32:56 pm »

A few days ago, my sister and I went to the library to find some information on ‘Old Featherstone’ for some of my sisters school work. I found one of the books ‘Featherstone the Millennium Tome’ by Tony Lumb a rather interesting read, and this story really caught my eye and made me chuckle.

The poll tax in 1379 was 4d. Clergy, Paupers and Children under 16 were exempt, and for poll tax purposes a husband and wife classed as 1.

Over the years Kings of England often found themselves skint, and out of pocket.
In 1626 King Charles I realised that even with this poll tax he needed to look for new ways to raise money. He found an old law that gave the king power to invite any person that earned over £40 a year from there estates to be knighted at a great royal occasion such as the coronation of a king, or the wedding of his daughter, anyone who didn’t turn up had to pay a fine. Charles I decided to use this law to make some money, and made a list of all those who he intended to knight at the coronation. The list was published in Yorkshire on January 30th 1626, it asked for all those named to be in London on the 31st.
This was clearly impossible, however the local gentry didn’t worry too much as no fine had been levied for a non-appearance for many years. When King Charles I asked for this money everyone was taken aback and a lot of the none attendees were find.
Yorkshires total fines were £16,638. Local residents that had to pay up were: John Horncastle, Featherstone £10. Thomas Beckwith, Ackton £15 and John Lee, Ackton £10.
Report Spam   Report to moderator   Logged

Mmmm.... Barbie Wink

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum