Featherstone Make a Difference Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:14:41 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Pontefract Road Allotments.

Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pontefract Road Allotments.  (Read 630 times)
numbnuts36

« on: June 13, 2008, 06:06:15 pm »

As a new member of the forum I am pleased to see that there is a section about allotments.  The scenes of degradation, waste and fly-tipping on my allotments behind The White House, Pontefract Rd are a disgrace. Existing plot holders work hard to keep their patches up to scratch but the neglected plots encourage fly-tipping, vandalism and regular break-ins.
I sincerely hope that the town council get control of the allotments from WMDC then we can start to get rid of the supposed plot holders who clearly haven't any intention of working the plots that they have held for years in a state of total neglect as they wait for a payout from some private building developer.
There is a duty to encourage sustainability and the increase of biodiversity in our area and I for one would fully support the idea of encouraging local groups, schools and individuals becoming involved in projects at these local sites. After all, the more people involved the less chance of losing the right to grow our own vegetables etc.
For anyone who is interested The Digger Movement of the 17th Century enabled ordinary folk like ourselves to work the land. They were probably the distant founders of the modern allotment. Many of the Digger Movement's leaders were killed in the pursuit of 'Common Land for The Common Man.' Does this sound familiar to Featherstone folk?
Report Spam   Report to moderator   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Forkhandles

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 06:39:25 pm »

Spot on there mate, we have the same problems down on wakey road site, out of 23 plot holders, we've about 6 true gardeners, if town council take over expect big changes Wink Grin
numbnuts36

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 06:04:17 pm »

Is there an overall allotment committee for featherstone that meets during the year?
Forkhandles

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 07:11:09 pm »

Is there an overall allotment committee for featherstone that meets during the year?
no.
karen

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 09:00:04 pm »

why isent there one forkhandles
Forkhandles

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2008, 09:09:15 pm »

why isent there one forkhandles

There was one a few years ago, they had all sorts of big ideas, but it all fell through, we've talked about it, but thats as far as it goes, i'd have a crack myself but i've too much on at the moment.
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum