Featherstone Make a Difference Forum
April 16, 2024, 03:17:34 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Where and how people lived in Featherstone 2000 years ago.

Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where and how people lived in Featherstone 2000 years ago.  (Read 1682 times)
heather
« on: July 17, 2008, 11:11:11 pm »

outstanding presentation. as i know buggar all about the history you have given but hold an interest i found your post most interesting. when you have time and if you have more please post. my only first comment would be is there or was there anything where they have stated building at Ackton?
I take it you mean the industrial units at the far end of Ackton. WYAS did surveys on that land about two years ago and I went and had a look at these trenches which were quite extensive across the whole area. The trenches didn't find anything really important and so building was allowed to continue. However, the new bypass area near to the M62 flyover and the road heading towards Ackton from the flyover cut through a pasture field belonging to Huffy. The research in that field didn't seem as intensive as it should have been in my opinion. Those pastured fields in and around Huffy's farm are littered with archeology from Roman and Celtic times and it's a known fact.
In fact Huffy has more history associated with his land than any other farmer in the region with farms and settlements from Roman\Celtic times splattered everywhere. Click this site,
http://ads.ahds.ac.uk/catalogue/index.cfm?CFID=108716&CFTOKEN=83702210
click 'agree', which it might ask you a couple of times, type 'Roman' into the search box then click on the map where you are roughly located within the UK, it will then give you a close up of the region. Click on Featherstone on the map and it will list pages of stuff in and around Featherstone giving exact details of where it was and records to go with it. Its a fantastic tool for researching the past.
Report Spam   Report to moderator   Logged

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum