Featherstone Make a Difference Forum
March 28, 2024, 01:17:46 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

ALLOTMENTS

Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ALLOTMENTS  (Read 1337 times)
rigger

« on: October 15, 2010, 09:24:02 am »

last year i thought i should make the move and get an allotment. as i live on the door step to the allotments, or should i say so caled allotments, that run from the top of gordon street j & i school down to end of carlton street. my idea behind this was to get the kids out of the house off there gadgets and doing something usefull with an end result they could be proud of.
  i found out who was supposed to be in control of them and made the call. i was soon talking to a lady from a solicitors in york, yes york. i got the pack through the post and read the contract word for word, yes contract you read right. all was going well until i came to the cost of £110 a year, as been a true featherstone bloke i called the lady in york back and said the contract had a miss print stating someone had put a 0 on the end of the cost. this is when things started to go down hill. she stated it was not a miss print and again clarified £110, out came the call of HOW MUCH.
  what do i get for £110 a year.
1 No security as the gardens dont have a reet good fence.
2 I have to clear the allotment at my expense. ( got quoted £300)
3 No water supply
4 No lighting to the area at all
  So my first year was going to cost me £410. i know veg is going up in price but to recoup that sort of money i would have to grow enough and get a contract withh sodding asda.
 After a month of consideration i got a call from york asking if i could hurry up and make a decision on whether i wanted a plot or not cos the waiting list was getting very long now. after i stated i would have contacted her earlier but had just picked myself off the floor after getting over the shock of the price. at that the phone went dead.
 The list must have been really really long cos as far as i can see there aint no new tennants yet. i think this lady needs to come out and meet with the people of featherstone and get a dose of reality.
 Even better why dont the council take over so many of them seen as they sold the old gordon street school site to ben bailey years ago and never gave any green space back to the community. but it doesnt matter because my car is used to been a goal post now, but thats another topic for another day..
Report Spam   Report to moderator   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

san!

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 09:45:44 am »

Hi Rigger
if you don't mind traveling to North Fev (st wilfrids high school) you could have a allotment for free, only payment we want is £20 yearly sub + for you to contribute some of your vegetables for the school or the elderly.
At the moment we don't have any water or electric, but things are in proggress to sort that out.
rigger

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2010, 10:08:30 pm »

cheers for the offer san.
 as much as i would love to take you up on that offer. i need one very close to home as im on call with featherstone fire station, so north feath is a little to far for me to be able to respond to a fire call. Sad
Forkhandles

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2010, 12:47:08 pm »

What about the ones at the side of brooksbanks, or better still, wakefield road or girnhill lane Grin
yetion1
Administrator

READY

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2014, 08:50:48 pm »

Sadly seen in Featherstone over the last 3 years has been a growing trend to burgle allotments. The thefts have developed in this time with increased regularity and organisation.
Unless British thieves have actually managed to get their act together it is fairly likely that travellers have considering the witness reports so far.
Last Thursday night what looks to be a well organised gang hit Castleford Cutsyke Road and Featherstone Green Lane allotments. Approximately 20 allotments on each site were broken in to. What is clear is the huge scale of the operation. We are talking about over 40 padlocks precisely removed and over 40 allotments searched and stolen from. This had to take time, man power and more than one vehicle considering the quantity and variation of items stolen ranging from live stock and scrap metal. Sadly as this is classed as “burglary other” it has less serious response.
What is clear is that someone is creating a plan of where to rob and how to escape without detection. The new Green Lane link road has now added 4 separate allotment sites to a quick getaway. Considering the large numbers of Police attending Thirsk Auctions this weekend it would be reasonable to assume the problem is not just local and is a growing problem.
A minimum of 3 more CCTV cameras are now desperately needed between Featherstone, Castleford and the M62. Considering all the development there has to be free money available unless someone has taken all that also. Featherstone could act immediately as there has been a spare connection point in place for a remote portable camera since the installation of its CCTV system as breakthrough in crime prevention. Sadly no remote camera ever appeared.
This type of theft will happen again shortly in Featherstone. If you see any suspicious vehicles especially vans parked near a Featherstone allotment late and early please take the time to call 101.

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum