Featherstone Make a Difference Forum
March 19, 2024, 09:54:16 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Featherstone Regeneration

Pages: 1 2 3 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Featherstone Regeneration  (Read 5459 times)
yetion1
Administrator

READY

« on: February 28, 2014, 09:08:12 pm »

Yet another poorly (well worded!) labour party news report. Page 4 this week “regeneration plans to look at bypass”. Interesting that on only this occasion the internet version is edited from the printed version.
After reading this article you could be forgiven for thinking that plans are underway to build a Featherstone bypass. The facts state other.
The topic has raised its head for the last 20 years, ironically usually just after Christmas and before an election.
After contacting WMDC it can be confirmed that there is “NO” bypass plan. The story printed is a 3 year old idea that is unusually going to WMDC cabinet for approval so it can be discussed for the next 3 years? Toilet roll use could receive the same discussion. Why go to cabinet unless a political publicity stunt yet again at the cost of Featherstone. Let’s not forget all roads all ready lead to Featherstone and stop. There is all ready far more than enough development in Featherstone producing UDf money to re-generate itself. So far 600 new houses shows as an agreed investment to get bus stops painted. Shocking!
Cllr Graham Isherwood comments “traffic in Featherstone is awful”. That’s one thing we all agree on. Sadly Cllrs could have made the situation much easier if they had a voice and not a party line to toe.
The immediate future for Featherstone is an ability to film road rage for the next year and make £200 a video followed by further congestion due to bad design followed by increased flooding to existing flooding property. But hey, we are not called “classey Cas or Wakefield” and the majority still vote for the yellow skip.

http://www.pontefractandcastlefordexpress.co.uk/news/local-news/featherstone-improvements-a-step-nearer-1-6459815
Report Spam   Report to moderator   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

yetion1
Administrator

READY

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 09:47:37 pm »

It must be election time again.
The usual kind of well worded Labour party news report this week, with not quite the actual picture portrayed.
The politicians who not so long ago accused others of media hype now appear guilty of far worse with far less improvements actually created by them. The improvements the politicians should be pursuing appear to be missing from the list.
You would be forgiven to believe that plans are underway to start. The actual 3 year plan is to discuss the idea, the same discussion that has been going on for the last 12 years.
Reading some words as Featherstone has come to interpret one can assume that;
1.   The Stacks is to become a housing estate
2.   A Stacks development is creating UDP money. Looks like someone has applied for the first time in years for the cash to stay in Featherstone. Who could that be?
3.   The new cycle routes that exist and stop and start will be joined. Obviously any funding would not be spent elsewhere.
Regeneration! What about the many other problems and the town centre that could be fixed so easily with the development cash flying about in town at present.

http://www.pontefractandcastlefordexpress.co.uk/news/local-news/featherstone-delivery-plan-regneration-project-moving-forward-1-6484276
yetion1
Administrator

READY

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014, 08:16:24 pm »

Have the public regeneration meetings stopped? Huh
yetion1
Administrator

READY

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 09:11:38 pm »

According to Denise Jeffery in the local news rag Knottingly is having a £225000.00 revamp.
Where is the money coming from?
Can Featherstone have the same? Considering is a bigger town centre and with the right management it could be revamped for a lot less!

http://www.pontefractandcastlefordexpress.co.uk/news/local-news/town-centre-revamp-1-6526706
yetion1
Administrator

READY

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2014, 08:51:50 pm »

The weather yet again revealed the old and new cracks in Featherstone’s aging infrastructure today. Blocked drains everywhere. My favourite new problem that sprung up was in the middle of the road at the Junction traffic lights. A jet of water burst through the sewer pipe that could not cope. This is the new up-graded pipe that will take all the new water from Girnhill estate, Pontefract Road Estate and a host of new developments including 2 hand car wash’s. But hey ho it’s only Featherstone.
yetion1
Administrator

READY

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2014, 08:10:09 pm »

“Congratulations Richard Taylor, I like many strayed away from the party that actually helped me and S****a with the shop frontage. I like many thought the grass was greener on the other side? Please accept my sincere apologies for being tot...ally wrong, The Labour party have made a MASSIVE difference in our proud town since gaining control once more, and let’s hope that people like myself have learned past lessons and keep voting for the party that works for our town, not individualism”.

Been passed this interesting quote from what appears to be the ex-owner of yet another closed down business in a Featherstone rented property. Interesting there is no record of any financial shop front help. More interesting to ask would be what is the “massive” difference apart from larger expenses for much less for Featherstone?
yetion1
Administrator

READY

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2014, 09:08:16 pm »

As the flood water is almost past in Featherstone again it appears for once it could have been more useful than a room full of politicians saying they will solve the problem. The usual places flooded along with many new areas that were predicted and recorded to do so. The results of an investigation started yesterday are going to be very, very interesting................... Wink
yetion1
Administrator

READY

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2014, 10:18:24 pm »

Yorkshire Water has today begun a 28 day investigation to determine the liability of flooding properties in Featherstone. I bet there are some phone calls flying about by morning as the liability is either Yorkshire Water or WMDC planning. Remind me how many Featherstone cllrs are on the WMDC planning board? Grin Wink
yetion1
Administrator

READY

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2014, 08:21:28 pm »

An interesting development early today, 8.15 am this morning Police officers were knocking at doors on Clayton Court. There reason for calling was to ask if anyone knew who owned the old KwikSave site as it was looking a little rough and the police were looking to take action. The only Police interest should surly be an attempt to force Wakefield Council to enforce the demolition application that was breached. The site was not down to be stripped as far as it was. It was nothing to do with a political planning blind eye in the sad interest of reducing the venue for the popular Featherstone Halloween Festival. Sad

Looks like although the Police have given up on crime they have a new role as WMDC officers. Roll Eyes
yetion1
Administrator

READY

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2014, 08:34:00 pm »

At last after 10 years of pointing it out thanks to various circumstances the drain and services issues in Featherstone are now making some people grow very concerned.
If you were not aware recently the council handed control of drains to Yorkshire Water. I’m Not quite sure how they managed to palm such a mess off nor are the staff at Yorkshire Water who now have ironically been left in the S**T.
Three months ago what started out as basic investigation in to flooding problems in and around Station Lane has now developed in to a panic full investigation fix that is still running. The plans supplied to Yorkshire Water appear to be about 50 years out of date. In fact the plans they have been provided with appear to show only drains from 1800 to early 1900. Many of the manholes in the area simply no longer exist on the plans or the drains they connect not to mention about half a mile of beck.
Conclusions so far confirm that Station lane is operating on 1800s 9” pipe. This is going to get messy and expensive given the options for Yorkshire Waters pledge to mend all faults in record times. Considering that the New Girnhill Estates new drainage sump for its entire estate has already failed will Yorkshire Water now take a new step and not allow further development to be connected OR approach WMDC planning for costs?
I’m gonna love this answer!
The best public service our local council could offer is to move the elderly from the bungalows at Purston and demolish the lot as they can only guarantee they will flood..... Shocked
Honest Pudding

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2014, 08:14:50 pm »

If you were not aware recently the council handed control of drains to Yorkshire Water. I’m Not quite sure how they managed to palm such a mess off nor are the staff at Yorkshire Water who now have ironically been left in the S**T.

We weren't aware of it and we live on Station Lane, so I'm glad to find this here so I can at least be prepared for the eventual s**tstorm.  My partner and I were discussing how poorly the drains seem to be maintained/functioning after a recent rainstorm, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised at the suspected age.  YW will not be pleased.
I’m gonna love this answer!

Me too... me too.
yetion1
Administrator

READY

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2014, 08:47:10 pm »

Almost 4 months into a 1 month investigation of Station Lane and still no conclusion. Ironically the more staff at Yorkshire Water dig the bigger the problem becomes.
Over the past 2 weeks Yorkshire Water have been re-mapping their plans which currently show 1900 era drains and not many new. I wonder what planning has been looking at for the past 20 years.
It appears a number of problems have been found resulting in holes being dug and cameras investigating. Initial results confirm a drainage disaster with an expensive cure. The next steps will be interesting.

If this were not bad enough it appears that like a disease the problem of flood water is now spreading across Featherstone. Another problem some paid to serve would wish buried. Around Featherstone there are several areas that suddenly have lost all their homes floor timbers and floor boards to dry / wet rot. Some homes are dry. Some have un-explained puddles under their homes. Decaying timber on this scale does not happen overnight. When a drainage fault occurs as is evident it would take about 3 to 6 years for the decay. Ironically in most cases when a new housing project was previously added to the pipe work. To give you just one scale the houses on Half Penny Lane are 100 years old. They are mostly original. Is it a coincidence that in the last 2 years over 12 houses have had to replace all their floors? Yes a known faulty drain has a new housing estate coupled to it on their pipe work. And boy no one wants to know because it’s not commercial. One slip of a tongue discovered a part answer. The water table level is above the clay. This is a fault of bad drainage. I hope the residents keep pushing.
yetion1
Administrator

READY

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2014, 07:23:55 pm »

After 5 months in to a 28 day investigation the problem has still not been resolved nor addressed correctly. Yorkshire Water and associated contractors have visited the site and surrounding area many times. A complete lack of communication, ability to record findings and what I suspect to be a cover-up quite clearly shows a circle of events that has so far rotated twice.
So far:
1.   Yorkshire Water and contractors have visited the area and agree that not all the drains are shown on plans and those that are shown have incorrectness including flow, pipe bore and a missing stream.
2.   Several faults have been found ranging from collapsed drains, blockages and poor original design. All investigators agree they can see man holes and pipes that do not exist on plans.
3.   Yorkshire Water instructed a person to re-map the drains twice as the first person and his report disappeared.
4.   The original faulty pipe reported still to this day has not been inspected at all. Four months ago I was informed that there would need to be traffic lighted early morning road closure to view the reported pipe. On 4 occasions I have been called to say Yorkshire Water is on site to investigate. I always ask first if they have a road closure permit and traffic lights. The answer is always no. On at least 3 occasions the wrong man hole has been investigated and reported as ok. I have even had one report that suggested a mid day investigation had taken place in the middle of a 4 way traffic light cross roads with heavy traffic. Obviously this was false.
5.   Most recent was the investigation of my reported drain which took place in the wrong street next door. This is the main feed from the Victoria housing estate. A 6” pipe over approximately 100m was found to be 95% blocked. 1.5 tonne of silt was extracted. Although not the right pipe it shows the problem well. The back pressure from input created by new development is causing silt to settle as water cannot flow.

Everyone who has been on site appears to agree that the drainage system is inadequate and undersized for the input it receives now. Any further addition to the drainage system on Station Lane will cause significant flooding. Either the issue is resolved immediately or Yorkshire Water should contact Wakefield District Council and request no further additions to the system. If either option is not taken I believe it fair that all subsequent flood victims can now consider the C.E.O. of Yorkshire Water Liable for all legal, repair and loss of earnings claims.
yetion1
Administrator

READY

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2015, 06:40:14 pm »

The election bull has begun, nothing like a good coffee morning for false promise. The latest is (according to the local Cllrs) the Old KwiKsave site is going to be cleaned up. Hope it’s not at my expense considering the final landscape we were all left with is not as per the demolition planning application on file. This was reported at the time. Nothing to do of course with removing the venue for the “Featherstone October Festival” for political gain!  Roll Eyes
yetion1
Administrator

READY

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2015, 11:09:45 am »

Looks like someone at Yorkshire Water took a reality check towards personal liability being shoved up them. The results for today’s emergency investigations significantly add to the jigsaw that should finally reveal that “YES” the drains in Station Lane are useless and are causing un-told damage.  A predicted disaster OR a significant opening to regenerate Featherstone if you’re not wearing Political blinkers.
You’re going to love this. Investigations on George and Fearnly Street confirm 85% silt blockage probably caused from back pressure off Wakefield Road. Just over a tonne of silt has been removed from George Street. A camera inspection then revealed that the drain was running towards St Thomas School and ended in a pile of rubble. It appears the drain at least on George Street many years ago was bodged on to Station Lanes main drain. See if you can follow this plot. At least 2 side street drains appear to have been cut off from where they were originally meant to feed too. Why would this be? Would it have anything to do with a missing street and a new school built? It appears someone cheated and didn’t re-lay the drains. This explains many things like puddles behind the precinct and flooding cellars.

It gets worse. After clearing George Street a camera was able to be placed in to Station Lanes main drain. Again the main drain is undersize and about 85% blocked. Remarkably it appears the only reason the drain is not 100% blocked is because of help from rats using the drain as their own road and food source. Estimates predict that at least the first 50 metres of Station lane will contain about 10 tonnes of silt. As usual not a word from local cllrs! Roll Eyes
yetion1
Administrator

READY

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2015, 07:54:07 pm »

Yorkshire Water confirmed today that Wilson Street drains are also blocked and Station Lane is blocked at least up to Dransfields shop. Next week probably late and in to early morning traffic lights will be placed on Station Lane so that the drains can be cleared and further investigation continued. The evidence just keep piling up just like the sewage.
yetion1
Administrator

READY

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2015, 08:31:44 pm »

It is almost day 5 of Yorkshire Waters week of investigations. One small problem! They have not turned up yet!  Roll Eyes
yetion1
Administrator

READY

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2015, 09:53:15 pm »

Oh dear. It appears Yorkshire Water have put their head in the sand just after confirming that Station Lane is a disaster.
See if you can follow this week’s plot..... We each pay Yorkshire Water a lot of money each year in the belief that our services are maintained. However when there is a problem Yorkshire Water have to apply for funding to carry out works. My question is where has all the money gone? Didn’t Yorkshire Water get sold off as a company?
yetion1
Administrator

READY

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2015, 08:04:26 pm »

And then there was silence. After months of investigations Yorkshire Water are still waiting for funding from OFWAT. OFWAT however do not give out money and are now looking in to Yorkshire Waters handling of Featherstone’s drains. Roll Eyes
yetion1
Administrator

READY

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2015, 08:05:50 pm »

I have been passed a very interesting / shocking document and correspondence. It appears a member of the public has made a freedom of information request to WMDC. The request was for information regards how much money was available for Featherstone. Amazingly the member of the public has received a reply which WMDC so far are tagging with a questionable restriction to publish clause. Lips sealed Shocked
What can be said is that so far out of money made available for Featherstone from two new housing estates over £370000.00 has been given out.  Shocked
One guess for how much Featherstone got and a second guess how many Featherstone Labour Party Cllrs have applied for money for Featherstone? Roll Eyes
It would be interesting if the press made the same information request. The details of items bought so far is just as shocking. Roll Eyes
Pages: 1 2 3 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum