Featherstone Make a Difference Forum
March 29, 2024, 01:42:59 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Ackton hall pit and local mining

Pages: « 1 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ackton hall pit and local mining  (Read 6750 times)
seneca bond

« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2011, 02:13:14 pm »

the hepworth gallery is free for the use of anybody not just the people of wakefield
the old war memorial never was much cop, and I've made my feelings known about the miners' memorial. Neither want restoring they want replacing. Arguably the old war memorial has been anyway./
Report Spam   Report to moderator   Logged
yetion1
Administrator

READY

« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2011, 08:19:11 pm »

Free? The ugly gallery cost us all £18 million never mind the rest of Wakefield and Castleford town centres. I don’t won’t to use it. Can I have my money back please?
The Mining memorial is what it is in a place that created its history. Surely worth WMDC paying for something? The safety barriers after 3 months would be nice.
seneca bond

« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2011, 09:10:57 am »

so public money should only be spent on things that you personally would use.
Of course it wasn't free to build, but it is free to use. People from all over the world visit the gallery, benefitting the local economy in the present and in the future. I think the building is a superb structure to enjoy and appreciate art in.
ridings.info

« Reply #43 on: September 22, 2011, 11:02:51 pm »

I understand the following post as nothing to do with with the title thread but as I have heard so much about this new Wakefield gallery well here goes!

Being a new gallery built for housing so called modern art, it should come as no surprise to anyone outside of Wakefield that the buildings exterior is coloured battleship grey and aseptically is a ludicrous monstrosity more like a concrete prison in design. The contents like the building are devoid of the kind of aesthetic qualities that the majority of people do tend to favour. That said the gallery whilst spartan is well designed inside with a smooth and pleasing flow from one gallery to the next.
As for the pieces well it is not really my scene but if it is yours and you appreciate Hepworth then I am sure the gallery is worth a visit. That said Hepworth was once described as a one trick pony.
Personally I believe most of this modern art movement is totally and utterly pretentious just simply a con on the art world.
Some of the descriptions however where attempted are quite amusing. A wooden Henry Moore offering explains that the artist discovered that wood was easier to work with than stone and because it is an organic material it helped to give a sense of life to his pieces. Well get out of here isn't that a complete revelation to us all!

Was it worth eighteen million pound well to me No but that’s is my own personal opinion and your opinion whilst it may be different is just that, as is your right to voice your personal opinion so long as it does not cause offence to others.
seneca bond

« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2011, 07:58:13 pm »

I enjoy Hepworth's work and Moore's. Some of Moore's figurative works-his mixed media pictures of people in air raid shelters in London for instance are figurative in a 'conventional' way. I find thwem very moving.

The building is supposed to be functional, and you describe that functionality well.

But it doesn't have to even matter whether you like the works in the gallery or not. These artists are of world renown. People from all over the planet will come to Wakefield-the place of Hepworth's birth, and will contribute to the local economy.
yetion1
Administrator

READY

« Reply #45 on: September 23, 2011, 08:47:21 pm »

Hey everyone should have an interest but not one that costs US £18 million. An air raid shelter would have been a lot more practical all round and actually useful to those not interested in this type of art.
It’s contributed to the economy alright. So far its £18 million down and rising.  Sad
Whistleblower

« Reply #46 on: September 23, 2011, 09:06:51 pm »

I enjoy Hepworth's work and Moore's. Some of Moore's figurative works-his mixed media pictures of people in air raid shelters in London for instance are figurative in a 'conventional' way. I find them very moving.

The building is supposed to be functional, and you describe that functionality well.

But it doesn't have to even matter whether you like the works in the gallery or not. These artists are of world renown. People from all over the planet will come to Wakefield-the place of Hepworth's birth, and will contribute to the local economy.
I find a curry does the same job but its a lot cheaper  Huh
seneca bond

« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2011, 08:58:50 am »

Hey everyone should have an interest but not one that costs US £18 million. An air raid shelter would have been a lot more practical all round and actually useful to those not interested in this type of art.
It’s contributed to the economy alright. So far its £18 million down and rising.  Sad

trhe gallery was partially funded by WMDC not wholly funded.
It is an investment in the cultural future of the area.
yetion1
Administrator

READY

« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2011, 07:59:11 pm »

It appears that the recent conversations regards the Hepworth Gallery on the forum have been upsetting a senior WMDC member. Don’t you just love a good leak! Shocked Grin

The Hepworth gallery didn't cost 18 million; its initial cost was 31 million which escalated to nearly 40 million. One fence which was just chicken wire and steel poles cost 18 thousand quid and it was only 30 yards long. The play area outside, there is a wooden boat on it that cost 30 grand. You wouldn't believe half of it.
 Our roads are dropping to bits and these assholes spent 40 million on a piece of crap.

Wonder if the full accounts are available yet? Grin Wink
alfgarnett

« Reply #49 on: September 27, 2011, 02:45:48 am »

Shocked  Shocked WTF You have got to be joking Angry as it is now it is quicker to get a pizza to your door than a police officer and these Assholes think it is in the people who elected them best interests to spend that amount of money on that monstrosity..Its happened the Lunatics are running the asylum were doomed  Cry  Cry  Cry  Cry  Cry  Cry
ridings.info

« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2012, 11:43:02 am »

Hi,
I have been asked by a friend to help identify the following pictures he Believes they could be of Thorn colliery but as been told that they are of Ackton Hall. Any help would bee appreciated many thanks.

Kim685

« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2012, 10:14:13 pm »

Hubby worked at both Ackworth and Featherstone and he says none of the buildings look familiar

sparky

« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2012, 07:22:22 pm »

I also think it is not Ackton Hall Colliery, these pictures are also on FLICKR.
ridings.info

« Reply #53 on: February 13, 2012, 10:18:09 pm »

Hi Sparky,
Yes the pictures are on flickr on the pontefract heritage site where they are listed as ackton hall but the copyright owner was given the pictures many years ago and is not sure of the colliery in question. there was the mention of thorn colliery

Thanks also to kim685 for the reply
primax

« Reply #54 on: February 14, 2012, 11:08:26 pm »

I think I recognise the square chimney with the three mouldings at the top but I could be mistaken. If you go down Newlands lane at Normanton the chimney is still up and has some mobile phone antenna's fitted to the top of it. I think these pits are located over in that area but don't quote me.
Forkhandles

« Reply #55 on: February 15, 2012, 10:19:06 am »

I think that belongs to an old brickworks mate...i go fishing down there Grin
ABBOO

"The King"

« Reply #56 on: May 23, 2012, 07:14:35 pm »

I can just about remember some of them buildings at Snydale brickworks
yetion1
Administrator

READY

« Reply #57 on: May 23, 2012, 09:09:35 pm »

Talking of brick works, been told Normanton brick yard is shuting Sad
Kim685

« Reply #58 on: May 24, 2012, 05:33:07 pm »

Talking of brick works, been told Normanton brick yard is shuting Sad

Bloody hell, end of another era  Sad

seneca bond

« Reply #59 on: May 25, 2012, 05:11:48 pm »

none of the pictures excellent though they are depict Ackton Hall Colliery, or Featherstone main for that matter.

Pages: « 1 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum