Featherstone Make a Difference Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:51:35 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Ackton hall pit and local mining

Pages: « 1 2 3 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ackton hall pit and local mining  (Read 6730 times)
seneca bond

« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2011, 10:14:15 pm »

she was at Embsay for many years. She might have been moved since
Report Spam   Report to moderator   Logged
Dementus

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2011, 10:23:44 pm »

I saw this engine a few years ago. It was stationary but was good for me as my Dad worked on this in the early fifties.
You may get more information here: http://www.embsayboltonabbeyrailway.org.uk/7.html

Happy Daze
Dementus
Dementus

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2011, 11:14:45 pm »

Just dug this out for you. out It is I am told a photo of Beatrice taken in 1968.

Happy Daze
Dementus
Dementus

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2011, 11:16:06 pm »

Ooops. Don't know how to post a photo. I'll be back.

Happy Daze
Dementus
Dementus

« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2011, 11:38:46 pm »

Photo of Beatrice taken 1968. Couldn't find the instructions on how to embed in the post so it's in the internet cloud. Just click and it will download to your default download folder.

http://www.mediafire.com/?dlbk23koopkj9vz

Happy Daze
Dementus
Forkhandles

« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2011, 09:21:18 am »

Photo of Beatrice taken 1968. Couldn't find the instructions on how to embed in the post so it's in the internet cloud. Just click and it will download to your default download folder.

Thats smashing mate,thanks very much Grin Grin
seneca bond

« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2011, 01:59:56 pm »

thanks for that.
when beatrice first came to featherstone brand new and right through the fifties she was painted the bright standard green of the Hunslet engine company. The painting on the Bradley arms is of her then. later she was painted standard NCB maroon a bit like Midland red.
she was replaced by Hunslet 18" cylinder engines in the 60s. These were knoen as Austerities, because they were mass produced in the war. They were much more powerful than the 16" engines.
seneca bond

« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2011, 02:01:54 pm »

when I was a toddler my mum used to take from our house in earl Street to watch Beatrice and my hero Edgar Mann, who'd toot his whistle at mne as he passed over the bridge and wave.
sparky

« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2011, 08:20:31 pm »

Names to the banner photo.
Dennis (Wilf) Jackson (Electrician) is behind Terry Barraclough.
The Tuffs brothers & Harry Morgan(R.I.P.) were also electricians.
Arthur Dixon was a fitter.
Happy Times.
seneca bond

« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2011, 10:14:14 am »

ther man at the back extreme right is Dennis Kershaw I think
yetion1
Administrator

READY

« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2011, 10:46:04 pm »

What a shame. It looks like the elements have gotten to the mining memorial in the precinct. Let’s hope the plaque on the wall from Labour Cllr Graham Isherwood claiming its creations glory now extends to its repair?

seneca bond

« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2011, 09:10:24 am »

it wants getting rid of altogether. It's vile
Ruthie

« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2011, 10:27:02 am »

I know everyones entitled to their own opinion, however I feel that calling it vile is a shade too far. With a touch of TLC and a decent coat of paint in the old colours and i think she'd look pretty damn fine, well, apart from the hideous cracks.....Someone needs to get this sorted ASAP before Featherstone loses something else..... Lips sealed

Mmmm.... Barbie Wink
seneca bond

« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2011, 05:30:08 pm »

something with gravitas is needed, rather an arrangement of drainpipes.

if it has a crack in it, then it was poorly made since it isn't that old.
yetion1
Administrator

READY

« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2011, 08:32:52 pm »

Oh dear oh dear.
Amazing “the peoples” comments on a little old forum mean nothing (according to Featherstone Labour).
Strange how without “comments” nothing gets done.
Without making an immediate risk assessment and much later this week a commercial welder was employed to “weld up the cracks”.
If you know nothing about welding cast iron is a very difficult substance to weld especially when the cracks are 25mm wide. It’s impossible.
Please take a look at the brittle memorial. There are plenty more cracks than since first reported. That is the nature of cast metal under pressure. Take a look at the top. There is about a ton held up by a slither of metal.
Where are the safety barriers? Where are the Cllrs and the persistent complainer?
One good hit by a football and it will be down.
It would be a shame if the market traders were killed by falling metal while holding a meeting to save the market. Or would it for some one?
seneca bond

« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2011, 12:10:47 am »

Oh dear oh dear.
Amazing “the peoples” comments on a little old forum mean nothing (according to Featherstone Labour).
Strange how without “comments” nothing gets done.
Without making an immediate risk assessment and much later this week a commercial welder was employed to “weld up the cracks”.
If you know nothing about welding cast iron is a very difficult substance to weld especially when the cracks are 25mm wide. It’s impossible.
Please take a look at the brittle memorial. There are plenty more cracks than since first reported. That is the nature of cast metal under pressure. Take a look at the top. There is about a ton held up by a slither of metal.
Where are the safety barriers? Where are the Cllrs and the persistent complainer?
One good hit by a football and it will be down.
It would be a shame if the market traders were killed by falling metal while holding a meeting to save the market. Or would it for some one?

they do mean nothing
it's a talking shop amongst a small number of people with a looseley formed common interest, that's all.
the memorial is tacky and cheap not just in construction and materials, but in terms of artistic merit.

I spent the day at the hepworth gallery recently, immeresed amongst the wortk of my two favopurite sculptors. Both dead.
But I refuse to believe there is no artistic talent available to convey the town's mining heritage and the sacrifices associated with it in a more meaningful way, paid for by public subscription inside and outside the town-which has a large diaspora.
Kim685

« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2011, 12:27:03 am »

the memorial is tacky and cheap not just in construction and materials, but in terms of artistic merit.
I personally have always thought it looked "ugly" although I appreciate what it represents. As for the Hepworth Gallery, [although I have no idea what it is like inside and have no desire to find out] looks very ugly on the outside and "unfinished" in terms of construction and colour

alfgarnett

« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2011, 02:49:20 am »

i have to agree with you Seneca in terms of what it is supposed to represent i think something as tacky looking as that does not do justice to the Town of Featherstone..
seneca bond

« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2011, 09:31:44 am »

I personally have always thought it looked "ugly" although I appreciate what it represents. As for the Hepworth Gallery, [although I have no idea what it is like inside and have no desire to find out] looks very ugly on the outside and "unfinished" in terms of construction and colour
it's a wonderful place, with a an ambience that wraps itself around you, and the art and sculptures are fascinating and stimulating. It made me asnt to go home and be creative, which was exactly what I did.
yetion1
Administrator

READY

« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2011, 08:49:42 pm »

Well here is an interesting twist?
Apparently there has been a typing error?
The town council are not looking for money to restore the St Thomas war memorial but are looking for money to restore the “miners” memorial in the precinct.
Some typing error!

When millions are spent on Wakefield and Castleford why do the folk of Featherstone have to pay for repairs to WMDC property?
Pages: « 1 2 3 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum