Featherstone Make a Difference Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:58:23 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Development of Land off Post Office Road, Featherstone

Pages: 1 2 3 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Development of Land off Post Office Road, Featherstone  (Read 4625 times)
yetion1
Administrator

READY

« on: July 21, 2012, 06:13:48 pm »

Below is a link to the new proposal. Lets see what people think and what is right and wrong with in the information.

http://www.jrpassoc.co.uk/consultation.html
Report Spam   Report to moderator   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

primax

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 04:55:24 pm »

OMG! This town is already on its knees with traffic and overcrowding. Let me ask a few questions if i may.
Firstly, there are 450 proposed homes in this plan. This would increase the population by 2000 people at an average of 2.4 children per family. Which doctors surgery is providing the health care for all these people. Our doctors surgeries are already pushed to the limit without adding more on their treatment list. The NHS are making cutbacks already and this adds stress to an already creeking system.
Secondly, 450 homes means about 1080 children. Which schools are prepared for an increase of this proportion? Again, schools and the education department are stretched to the limit and these proposals will tip them over the edge. Who's going to pay for extra teachers and facilities for all these kids?
Lastly, as far as traffic is concerned we are already a nightmare, this is going to bring absolute chaos into the town.
These developments are all well and good and the builders love them. They make lots of money then take their hook. They never ever think of any social or environmental impact that all this housing will cause and the ensuing chaos that follows.
This can't be allowed to happen - it's insane.
Forkhandles

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 06:36:38 pm »

This is just the start of things to come,a survey was done on another piece of land a couple of years ago that is earmarked for up to 1,800 homes...i spoke to them as they were doing the surveying Shocked
seneca bond

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 10:55:58 pm »

great news
Obe 1

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 06:02:19 pm »

OMG! This town is already on its knees with traffic and overcrowding. Let me ask a few questions if i may.
Firstly, there are 450 proposed homes in this plan. This would increase the population by 2000 people at an average of 2.4 children per family. Which doctors surgery is providing the health care for all these people. Our doctors surgeries are already pushed to the limit without adding more on their treatment list. The NHS are making cutbacks already and this adds stress to an already creeking system.
Secondly, 450 homes means about 1080 children. Which schools are prepared for an increase of this proportion? Again, schools and the education department are stretched to the limit and these proposals will tip them over the edge. Who's going to pay for extra teachers and facilities for all these kids?
Lastly, as far as traffic is concerned we are already a nightmare, this is going to bring absolute chaos into the town.
These developments are all well and good and the builders love them. They make lots of money then take their hook. They never ever think of any social or environmental impact that all this housing will cause and the ensuing chaos that follows.
This can't be allowed to happen - it's insane.

I couldn't agree more.The entire infastructure of the town will not cope with a development of this size. I have to give my doctors a weeks notice if I am going to be ill as it is and as for the traffic as things stand now, as you say the idea is insane to anyone who knows the town but WMDC don't know or care IMO. They just want the big income boost for firstly passing the development from the goverment, then flogging off the old allotments as part of the development and finally all the extra council tax income they will get.
If you check out Rightmove there are well over 100 houses listed on this site alone for sale from 50K-350K,immediately in the Featherstone area plus all the ones for rent so the myth that more are needed seems bizarre.
As an aside i hear WMDC are one of the few councils that have a chance of hitting their govenment set target for passing housing developments in their area as they are forcing so many through. They must be drooling at the thought of another big cash government bonus but I bet not a £1 of all this extra income will be spent on us!
It seems there is little point wasting energy objecting just look at previous valiant attempts to make WMDC see reason in the town, they do what they want when they want regardlees of public opinion in the immediate area. I think this is why there haven't been any public objections to the "proposal" in the town as we have seen in the Pont & Cas in other areas recently. Are we resigned to our fate?
If you attended any of the "consultation" events at Chesneys you will know they were all false smiles and bullsh1t but once or twice they let it slip that it was a done deal and I was told in a round about way, "look it's happening deal with it there's no way WMDC will not pass it and we start building Summer 2013!"
As you say they will build it and leave us to live in the traffic nightmare and chaos it will leave in the town, as Forkhandles says it is only the thin end of the wedge with all the adjoining farmland earmarked for future development towards Pontefract and the Crem which will bring 1000's more houses and join Fev to Ponty!!

yetion1
Administrator

READY

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2012, 06:20:44 pm »

Looks like the Pont & Cas cannot help but print the story as public opinion is high. The Band wagon deserves critisism.

http://www.pontefractandcastlefordexpress.co.uk/news/local/more-local-news/new-estate-traffic-chaos-fears-1-4798107
seneca bond

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2012, 09:55:49 am »

the town needs more people living in it, especially the middle of the town, especially if these are young professional people with money and aspirations
Forkhandles

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2012, 12:06:12 pm »

I agree with you SB...but first we need to make sure the infrastructure can cope with the increased population Grin
Kim685

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2012, 07:37:23 pm »

the town needs more people living in it, especially the middle of the town, especially if these are young professional people with money and aspirations

That's all well and good, but it's the increase in traffic that concerns me, the town is gridlocked as it is.

seneca bond

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2012, 09:42:42 pm »

Kim the place is a ghost town.

I don't know where you get the gridlocked impression from.
more upwardly mobile people, more busineses, more interesting shops, proper reataurants, the place smartened up, people living in the middle of the town not on estates on the outskirts. It would rewaken the place.

Featherstone is no longer an industrial town. It is a residential community where people commute. This needs to be made the best of.
seneca bond

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2012, 09:44:56 pm »

I agree with you SB...but first we need to make sure the infrastructure can cope with the increased population Grin

quite

I don't see any reason why that shouldn't be the case.
primax

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2012, 04:41:55 pm »

more upwardly mobile people, more busineses, more interesting shops, proper reataurants, the place smartened up, people living in the middle of the town not on estates on the outskirts. It would rewaken the place.

Featherstone is no longer an industrial town. It is a residential community where people commute. This needs to be made the best of.

Do you walk around with your eyes shut? It's not gridlocked???
Come down Wakefield road at school times and try getting up station lane. Five o'clock, they are bumper to bumper from the Linpac to Feath high school and from North Feath to the Travs where they turn in for Ackworth. You want to add to the problem?
Did you answer any of the concerns about schools accommodating another thousand children, doctors surgeries accommodating another two thousand people? No because all you can see is fancy shops and resturants. You say it would waken the place up, it would bankrupt the place, it's YOU who needs to wake up.
yetion1
Administrator

READY

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2012, 08:31:29 pm »

Constructed in the right way, Yes Featherstone would benefit from town centre infill constructions. However given the recorded track record of such development the present infrastructure has to raise concern especially as every aspect of it already fails.
Like it or not Featherstone’s destiny is to be a commuter town. This has to raise concern as commute equals transport. Only a blind person could stand at the road side and not see this.

Have you ever seen a development that couples on to an access road (in this case Post Office Road) via a gate that “emergency teams will have a key for”. If you look at the plans the gate is in to a garden of a new house? Have we not learnt that a WMDC highways issue is all powerful? Once built it would be an issue that would be resolved by law. They must think we are thick.

Hs the Junction Pub got a preservation order on it? Hope so as it would be a good time to get rid.
Whistleblower

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2012, 08:38:24 pm »

Do you walk around with your eyes shut? It's not gridlocked???
Come down Wakefield road at school times and try getting up station lane. Five o'clock, they are bumper to bumper from the Linpac to Feath high school and from North Feath to the Travs where they turn in for Ackworth. You want to add to the problem?
Did you answer any of the concerns about schools accommodating another thousand children, doctors surgeries accommodating another two thousand people? No because all you can see is fancy shops and resturants. You say it would waken the place up, it would bankrupt the place, it's YOU who needs to wake up.

I agree entirely  Grin
seneca bond

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2012, 09:03:10 pm »

Either you walk around with your eyes shut or you need a check up from the neck up. It's not gridlocked???
Did you answer any of the concerns about schools accommodating another thousand children, doctors surgeries accommodating another two thousand people? No because all you can see is fancy shops and resturants. You say it would waken the place up, it would bankrupt the place you moron, it's YOU who needs to wake up.

there is no grid to be locked. Traffic is heavy during peak times justb like everywhere else. The rest of the time the pplace is a ghost town.

fancy shops and restaurants-sounds good to me. What would you have instead? An influx of young upwardly mobile people with disposable income is what the town needs.

One of the reasons there is heavy traffic at the times you mention is that children don't necessarily attend thre school near where theyb live. St Wilfi]rid's for example has a massively wide catchment area.

do you know what the takeup is on tlocal health service provisiopns. Presumably you know about planned changes for that should they be needed.
primax

« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2012, 05:04:38 pm »

Either you walk around with your eyes shut or you need a check up from the neck up. It's not gridlocked???
Did you answer any of the concerns about schools accommodating another thousand children, doctors surgeries accommodating another two thousand people? No because all you can see is fancy shops and resturants. You say it would waken the place up, it would bankrupt the place you moron, it's YOU who needs to wake up.

there is no grid to be locked. Traffic is heavy during peak times justb like everywhere else. The rest of the time the pplace is a ghost town.

fancy shops and restaurants-sounds good to me. What would you have instead? An influx of young upwardly mobile people with disposable income is what the town needs.

One of the reasons there is heavy traffic at the times you mention is that children don't necessarily attend thre school near where theyb live. St Wilfi]rid's for example has a massively wide catchment area.

do you know what the takeup is on tlocal health service provisiopns. Presumably you know about planned changes for that should they be needed.

You really do have your head in the sand concerning what this towns needs Bond.
This town does need regeneration and life breeding into it but 450 new houses is not the answer. The answer is opportunity for our youth, job prospects for our youth aswell as employment opportunities for other age groups. I'd rather have a factory that employed 500 people and bring prosperity here.
Some more concerns about increasing the size of the town, 450 dustbins to empty when WMDC are struggling to empty bins because of cutbacks, dozens of more streets to clean, 450 houses to empty of sewage when everyone knows the current sewage system we have is already stretched to the limit, choking the place up with Carbon emmissions from another 750 cars so our children can breath more ****e in and end up with Asthma, more flooding because we can't handle the excess water from the roof tops just like in Streethouse.
Lets just ask ourselves if you and these idiots are gonna pay for this:
1. Another 2 infant and junior schools to cope with a 1000 children.
2. An extention to Featherstone technology college to cope with another 1000 children.
3. Based on national figures we'd need another 40 school teachers.
4. A new sewage system to cope with 1000's of tons of extra sewage and excess water.
5. More WMDC employee's to empty bins and clean streets.
6. More postmen to deliver mail to 450 extra houses.
7. Modifications to electricity, gas and water supplies to cope with demand.
So, who's gonna pay for this lot hey Bond? Not you or the company building the houses that will leave this town facing disaster in a time of a double dip resession where everyone is making cutbacks to survive. You build during times of economic growth not recession.
Kim685

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2012, 07:23:44 pm »

This town does need regeneration and life breeding into it but 450 new houses is not the answer. The answer is opportunity for our youth, job prospects for our youth aswell as employment opportunities for other age groups. I'd rather have a factory that employed 500 people and bring prosperity here.
Some more concerns about increasing the size of the town, 450 dustbins to empty when WMDC are struggling to empty bins because of cutbacks, dozens of more streets to clean, 450 houses to empty of sewage when everyone knows the current sewage system we have is already stretched to the limit, choking the place up with Carbon emmissions from another 750 cars so our children can breath more ****e in and end up with Asthma, more flooding because we can't handle the excess water from the roof tops just like in Streethouse.
2. An extention to Featherstone technology college to cope with another 1000 children.
4. A new sewage system to cope with 1000's of tons of extra sewage and excess water.
So, who's gonna pay for this lot hey Bond? Not you or the company building the houses that will leave this town facing disaster in a time of a double dip resession where everyone is making cutbacks to survive. You build during times of economic growth not recession.

Excellent points Primax, agree wholeheartedly

primax

« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2012, 08:59:54 pm »

Kim wrote
Excellent points Primax, agree wholeheartedly
Thankyou Kim.
Some other points I forgot to mention, you would probably need another doctors surgery to cope with health demands aswell as a dentist. You just cannot add 2000 people to a population without thinking about all the life support mechanisms which are already stretched. In case Bond didn't notice Kim, the NHS is on its backside having to make cutbacks imposed by the government, WMDC is on its backside because of the same thing and education face similar problems. In other words - no ones got 2 pennies to scratch their backside with, everyone is on a tight budget because of the recession so none of the above mentioned stuff like schools, clinics, doctors etc are going to materialize. What would that do to our already stretched health service, school system and Council services? THE WRITING IS ON THE WALL- the rest of us suffer. I wish people would use their noggin.
seneca bond

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2012, 07:01:36 pm »

D you walk around with your eyes shut?It's not gridlocked???

You really do have your head in the sand concerning what this towns needs Bond.

so this development will take place without related modifications and improvements to the infrastructure will it? I doubt it
more employees such as post men(and women), refuse workers etc. isn't that a good thing?

The same people who pay for all the country's inferstructure developments will pay, including the new residents who will enliven the place

Building during a recession helps a country work its way out of recession. In a recession does all capital investment stop? Of course it doesn't, kust look around you.

primax

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2012, 05:38:13 pm »

Bond Wrote
so this development will take place without related modifications and improvements to the infrastructure will it? I doubt it
more employees such as post men(and women), refuse workers etc. isn't that a good thing?

The same people who pay for all the country's inferstructure developments will pay, including the new residents who will enliven the place

Building during a recession helps a country work its way out of recession. In a recession does all capital investment stop? Of course it doesn't, kust look around you.
In answer to that about improvements to the infrastructure - A VERY SOLID NO!
When houses were built in all the surrounding areas nearby such as Streethouse and Sharlston there was no new provisions made in education, social care, healthcare or sewage. Again Bond you have your head in the sand, there isn't going to be any, were in a recession and everyone is skint. There isn't any money to improve what we already have never mind increase its capacity.
More employee's? What are you talking about? WMDC have got to save £60 million over five years, there are no new employee's, there are no new postmen because the postal service is on its backside.
In answer to your comment about helping the recession. To get out of a recession you have to create wealth in the Country, usually this is done by the banking system (Bank of England) pouring money into trade and industry which creates jobs, growth and expansion. The banks have got the titty on because they have had their backsides slapped for already causing the recession in the first place by over lending and creating bad debt for the country. The banks have all the money - end of, the government is busy trying to dig us out of the debt the last government with its unlegislated banking system got us into.
Now we have ficticious inflation figures trying to keep us from going bust all together. 2.6% they say??? someone's been smoking the crack pipe again because I could swear its over 15%. In case no one noticed, everything is sky rocketing in price, fuel at silly money, domestic fuel at silly money, supermarket prices at absolutely silly money, train prices set to rise at three times the proclaimed rate of inflation, a whopping 6.1%. The only thing that remains cheap is the interest on your mortgage but if that goes up everyone will be homeless, too many folk living on the edge of survival for that to happen like it did in 1987 when Maggie banged interest rates up to 15%.
So Mr Bond, to dig ourself out of recession we need jobs, investment in trade and industry which creates jobs which in turn creates wealth because people start spending their hard earned money in shops and on cars etc etc etc. THEN YOU BUILD HOUSES FOR THEM TO BUY which creates more wealth and more jobs and so the cuddly little cycle keeps going. The banks won't give people mortgages, they won't give industry any money to create growth so in essence we are urinating into a strong breeze at the moment which doesn't repair itself by building houses. Houses which incidently are designed to remove the working classes from their own towns and make them feel second rate citizens when they pass the ten bob millionaires giving em mucky looks.

Pages: 1 2 3 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum