Featherstone Make a Difference Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:05:12 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Featherstone Miners Welfare

Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Featherstone Miners Welfare  (Read 1709 times)
Bob

« on: May 30, 2008, 11:59:59 pm »

Wink I would love some memories/pictures of the welfare building,  the dances, snooker hall youth club etc and perhaps a conversation about thr demise of the welfare, there are some conspisacy theories.
many thanks Bob
Report Spam   Report to moderator   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Citizen Smith
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2008, 08:12:35 am »

This sounds interesting, conspiracy theories, well if you know what they were post away Bob!
Forkhandles

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2008, 11:40:53 am »

This sounds interesting, conspiracy theories, well if you know what they were post away Bob!
In the dark recesess of my mind, i think i can recall something of the sort, when the building burnt down Wink
yetion1
Administrator

READY

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2008, 06:05:56 pm »

i recall that the miners paid for the building each week out of their wages but never got a penny when it was sold.
i am told that originally it had a different roof that was home to a fabulous clock. id love to know where that went?
Greencatcher

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2008, 08:41:34 pm »

My parents have many fond memories of this place as they used to go there in their courting days.
Bob

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 11:30:09 pm »

I am 65 and my memories though a little dim are the snooker hall youth club and the amature dramatics plays and pantomines and later when I became was old enough the Friday night dances? and unfortunatley some of the gang fights, pictures of these years would be amazing to add to the towns history.
Bob

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2008, 09:58:30 pm »

Yeti about the tower and clock on the roof of the welfare i have spoken to a lady who used to live next to the welfare in 1937 when she was 12 and she is sure there was a clock there, I am still looking for photos.

The same lady also told of her memory of a lady, can anyone remember Jeraldine Farer she is reputed to have sang with Norman Longbottoms band at concerts at the welfare and went on the join a famous dance band of that time? and went on to entertain on the continent.
I am now asking about people involved with the Featherstone amature dramatics, my wife remembers the pantomimes.
yetion1
Administrator

READY

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2008, 10:12:15 pm »

I have found a picture and I should have it tomorrow with a little more history.
What I have been told is that the original building had a clock. It was wound up by a key. To wind it up you had to get a tall ladder inside the foyer and climb up once every week. About 1950 a lady ? in memory of her farther bought one of the first electric clocks and had it installed. The other clock disappeared. Only 3 or 4 years later the clock was removed after a fire when the building was then altered.
yetion1
Administrator

READY

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2008, 07:14:22 pm »

this is the first one i have seen with the clock.

Bob

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2008, 11:18:19 am »

the picture of the welfare,that is exactly as I remember it when I was 18 in 1961, I cant emagine it changed much before that time, that is untill it mysteriuosly caught fire, I am not aware of any records as to were the monies from the sale of the site went, may be advise could be sought as to were to begin to find such records could they be in either coal board records or N.U.M records.
ridings.info

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2009, 04:30:56 pm »

yetion1
Administrator

READY

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2009, 08:28:14 pm »

Great new, old picture. Havnt seen that one before. Have you got anything else stashed? Grin
Forkhandles

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2009, 09:51:50 pm »

Its a new one on me too Grin
ridings.info

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2009, 11:11:58 am »

The photographs I have placed are available via the w.w.w I am unsure however of their original copy write. My understanding is that w.m.d.c appears to lay claim to most images of Featherstone shown.
I have a few more old photograph that have been collected but as of yet no more that include the miners welfare building other than the two already shown.
More up to date photographs of Featherstone can be seen on my private website one of which includes the now demolished North Featherstone old workingmens club
san!

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2009, 01:24:14 pm »

riding what the addresas for your website please.
ridings.info

« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2009, 05:35:53 pm »

Hi San,
Sorry I forgot to insert the address main index is
http://ridings.info
and the featherstone page is
http://ridings.info/index.php?p=1_10_Featherstone

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: