Featherstone Make a Difference Forum
March 28, 2024, 08:16:12 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

evoking the past

Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: evoking the past  (Read 268 times)
seneca bond

« on: May 25, 2012, 04:57:18 pm »

I recently took a stroll down the lane, up to my old house on the coal board estate, one of the last few still standing. It brought back memories, mostly good ones but not all.

what was the bank opposite post office road.
Probably the only decent looking building in the lane, now looking very down at heel, what a shame

the level crossing. The subway under the track waz a magic place. the entrances originally had quite delicate shelters above them. We'd stand under the track when a freight train came over and frighten ourselves daft. Also whem you came out of the Saturday matinee at the hip, the subway became all sorts of things: cowboy forts, castles, dungeons   as you acted out the fantasies that the movies you'd seen stirred up.

the appaling 'market place'. If an architect or town planner haad sat down and tries his or her best to make the town look as deporessing and bleak as possible-this is the design they would have come up with, the effect emphasised by the insulting miners memorial situated there.

th wall of what was Cook's off licence. Mary Cook was my cousin Hazel's best friend. Further was Tommy keenan's at the end of Albert Street where my grandparents lived(number 16). It sold ale from hand pumps. My grandad would send me to Keenan's with an empty quart pop bottle and Tommy would fill it with beer. Illegal, but nobody minded. My grandad would let me supp the froth off the top of the bottle when he opened it. Further along the lane opposite the Top House was Newnham's another off licence.

'scotch hill' aka Ashcroft Avenue seen from the bottom of the hill. We lived in number 39 the middle of the three houses. The hill was a wonderully frightrening trip down on your bike or your roller skates. It doesn't seem as steep now.

Report Spam   Report to moderator   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum