Featherstone Make a Difference Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:25:40 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

AHCB

Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AHCB  (Read 661 times)
seneca bond

« on: May 25, 2012, 04:33:53 pm »

Memory lane, please feel free to correct my memory it was a long time ago, so here goes.
My first schooll of course was Girnhill lane, i've tried to think of the teachers at the time (early sixties)but my memories lost, i do recall the school caretaker though, Mr Hutchinson i can't really forget him because he had a sausage dog which i remember very well, and the head dinner lady was Mrs philpot.
  Does anyone remember the shop just past the school ? it was called johnsons, i recall a lovely blonde woman Margeret Johnson who always gave me extra sweets for school  Grin 

I recall a mobile shop would come down the road some evenings (early sixties of course)which i think was a dark green van type thing probably called 'Parker' or 'parkers' and some days we had Copleys horse and cart milkfloat.

Now this bits interesting, it was 67 and fev were at wembley, one of the teachers at school had the fev wembley programme for sale.. i begged my mum for the money to buy it but she said NO , i threatned i wouldn't go to school  Grin  i did a runner up ashcroft ave but she chased after me and dragged me to george street school  Shocked I got the programme in the end though, Blue white stripe on the front if i rememeber correctly.
Anyone remember Moxons cobblers on george street ?

Went Ave brings back some happy times for me as a kid, we had nowt and i dont ever recall the law down the street, Dad was down ackworth pit so anything me or family did could get back to him so we trod carefully.

George Birch lived across the road from us and he had a younger sister but again my memories playing up perhaps it was Georgina ? i remember her as she was a friend  of mine at the time.

Lots of names keep cropping up but i doubt many would be arround now.. for example....
Nelson, Bell, Blacket, Bonson, Becket, Radcliffe, Luckman, Barr, Greenshield, Haigh, Hazerlgrave, Mcphail, Smeaton, Patterson, Tucker, Williams, Comer, summers, Baines, Stott, King, Braithwate, Westwood, Fawley, Tolley, Wood, Maddison, Mckenzie, Nettleship,Millard.Plus more.
All were wonderfull neighbours and we all knew each other.

We left in 69 beacuse our familly were growing and we ended up in purston.
And my first job at 16 1974 was a snydale brickyard... oh god ! 

I was brought up on the coaal board estate.

there were four mobile shops.
Parker
Ernie Clowes
Roya Watton(who also had a bakery on the parade of shops opposite the green lane club)
and Jack Hodgkiss. Jack had a greengrocers in the lane, and he used to come round with his horse and cast selling fruit and veg.
Vic Johnson had a shop on the edge of the estate. He originally had one on the corner of Gordon Street. The Johnson's were very nice people, and Vig gave me a reference for my first job
Report Spam   Report to moderator   Logged

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum