Featherstone Make a Difference Forum
April 19, 2024, 08:19:23 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Lister Square

Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lister Square  (Read 2043 times)
yetion1
Administrator

READY

« on: May 17, 2008, 07:59:31 pm »

An old sparkys tale

In the far right hand corner you will see 2 apex roofed houses. The furthest one holds a great tale told to me by the pictures owner.
Late 1940s he was an electrician for the power company. His job was to disconnect homes that had not paid their bill. One day he and a colleague went to the house to disconnect the supply due to none payment. They considered the area as a “black” area not because of the muck but because it was like in our language the “Bronx”. They knocked on the door and were surprised to be welcomed by a middle aged woman who agreed to let them in. the meter was housed in a floor to ceiling cupboard that needed steps to get to it. One man began to start disconnecting whilst the other stood by (or on guard). The woman had been watching and then turned and went to the sideboard and brought over a large jar and sat down. The sparkys both had watched this carefully as they thought they were going to get the jar on the head.
The woman sat watching for a few moments and the opened the jar and pulled out a hand full of pills and calmly said” if you cut of my electric I will take these pills”. The man on the steps quickly replied “come on love, I am only doing my job”, and then continued to disconnect. The woman opened her mouth and swallowed the hand full of pills. Over the next few minutes she began to get drowsy and eventually her eyes rolled up as she passed out. In panic one man ran to get a doctor who came back running. An ambulance was called and the woman taken away. The electric was cut off before the men left.
The irony of the story was that 8 days later the social paid off the debt and the same two men went back to re-connect.
Hard times, in a bleak environment. Sounds like good old Featherstone.
Report Spam   Report to moderator   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

yetion1
Administrator

READY

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 08:34:01 pm »

a great find this week with a shot of wakefield road getting ready for the Rovers return from a victory in the final.
behind this you can see Masham square. the other 2 pictures are behind the houses and inside one of them.

j4elephant

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 10:25:59 pm »

a great find this week with a shot of wakefield road getting ready for the Rovers return from a victory in the final.
behind this you can see Masham square. the other 2 pictures are behind the houses and inside one of them.
great pics i can just see were i lived and my husband  lived when we were kids
them where the days

JOAN
karen

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 07:37:22 am »

how nice is that i bet you have some storys
yetion1
Administrator

READY

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2010, 07:39:40 pm »

j4elephant

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2010, 10:37:41 pm »

nice picture i can c the row where my mum lived and i  can stil name everyone that lived on that row

JOAN

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum