Featherstone Make a Difference Forum
March 29, 2024, 12:31:44 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Supermarket

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Supermarket  (Read 18683 times)
Forkhandles

« Reply #380 on: June 24, 2011, 07:00:03 pm »

always seems bustling when I've been in.
I don't see what the gender of the driver in the incident you mention has to do with anything
the instances you describe don't seem to be related to the well marked road lay out.
There have been some terrible accidents there over the years-one fatality I saw myself involving a pedestrian and a tanker quite  afew years ago now.

I remember that,i think it was a little girl,maybe in the late fifties.
Report Spam   Report to moderator   Logged
seneca bond

« Reply #381 on: June 24, 2011, 07:11:20 pm »

correct.
as a pedestrian I find the junction much easier to use than it used to be.
the bottom of thr lane and the top of the knob crossroads were always death traps.
I think the situation is much better than it has ever been.

I'm surprised no one has brought up the issue of shop fronts on Station lane/Station Road. They lower the tone, and spoil the feel of the place-there are some pleasing old buoldings in the lane that feature in historic photographs of the place, asnd I detest that windswept little 'precinct' with its tacky memorial, as well as that scruffy parade of shops where bargain booze is.
The only building with any class on the lane is the Gospel Hall. The main street of the towen  is being sold short.
Victor

« Reply #382 on: June 24, 2011, 07:20:40 pm »

Thought as part of the regeneration of the town the shop fronts on Station Lane were being done up
yetion1
Administrator

READY

« Reply #383 on: June 24, 2011, 08:35:46 pm »

Have to agree and disagree with you.
Pedestrians are safer unless a vehicle is out of control and where the pedestrians then become cattle in a walled pen.

Shop fronts are a cracking subject. Just to start the conversation with one of the many simple illegal points that would make a great difference to the lane if enforced are the roller shutters. The planning requirement for Featherstone is perforated metal with plastic coating in a colour only to be taken from the WMDC colour chart. If you can see a bright galvanized roller shutter it has no planning permission. It should be the job of WMDC planning enforcement. They are short staffed unless you don’t vote labour. In that case they will be out in hours. By the day Lidle are setting the standard for WMDC enforcement.
seneca bond

« Reply #384 on: June 26, 2011, 10:09:52 am »

as a pedestrian I feel safer with the current system. The scenario you depict is far more unlikely than the  alternatives.
I don't have any thoughts about the colours of the security shutters quite frankly.
The town ahs to attract people wo live in it, enjoy living in it asnd spend money in it.
The tacky mismatch of frontages, the stalinist precinct with its apology for a memorial, the lego parade of shops at the top of the lane make the place very unattractive to prospective inhabitants.
There are some interesting businesses. I like the little hardware shop with its merchandise displayed outside like the old photographs that we are familiar with. Not many towns have a model railway shop. The fruit/veg shop especially when it has bedding plants displayed outside is excellent, and Dransfield's carrys on a tradition albeit not owned by Dransfields. My favourite is Carolyn's deli: superb takeaway food and great service. I think the indian restraurant near the top of the lane shoiws how good a modern frontage can look, but the lane is a depressing place that makes the town unattractive.
I visit Tickhill regularly. It's smaller than Featherstone, but shows what can be done
Kim685

« Reply #385 on: June 26, 2011, 11:21:58 pm »

I agree seneca, the precinct is an eyesore. Station Lane badly needs "doing up". I have no idea what shutters are used because I would never venture up there after dark. I also agree with feeling safer as a pedestrian, I can cross more safely at the newsagents side of the crossroads now, although I don't know what the experience is for drivers.
Although the supermarket was a welcome need, I still feel it was built in the wrong place. Reminds me of the ridiculous placement of Asda in Ponte.

seneca bond

« Reply #386 on: June 27, 2011, 08:45:48 am »

fair enough about the supermarket, we all have our own ideas.
where is the ASDA in ponte? I honestly don't have a clue, and I visit regularly.
Forkhandles

« Reply #387 on: June 27, 2011, 07:54:31 pm »

fair enough about the supermarket, we all have our own ideas.
where is the ASDA in ponte? I honestly don't have a clue, and I visit regularly.

Its at the end of halfpenny lane,on the opposite corner to Harrats renault dealers. Grin
seneca bond

« Reply #388 on: June 28, 2011, 11:54:51 am »

in that case your point is well made
san!

« Reply #389 on: June 29, 2011, 10:16:16 am »

I'm going of the topic here, Seneca Bond, who's picture is that on your name tag in this forum? it's not who I think it is, is it?
just wondering who the gentleman was.
seneca bond

« Reply #390 on: June 29, 2011, 05:28:11 pm »

clement atlee
britain's greatest prime minister
yetion1
Administrator

READY

« Reply #391 on: June 29, 2011, 09:31:42 pm »

Sorry, again off topic and sorry Seneca but Winston was the best. Grin
Sounds a great topic. Please can the last posts be moved?
seneca bond

« Reply #392 on: June 29, 2011, 09:45:00 pm »

Sorry, again off topic and sorry Seneca but Winston was the best. Grin
Sounds a great topic. Please can the last posts be moved?
is that the same winston who opposed the health service, was behind the disastrous Dardanelles campaaign, was led by the nose by Stalin at yalta?
I've got more if you want.
He made some inspiring speeches. Although they quite often weren't actually made by him. The ones that were recorded were made by the actor who played the older bloke in the menswear department in 'Are You being served'.
Then of course there was his handling of the 1921 miners strike etc etc.
Forkhandles

« Reply #393 on: June 30, 2011, 07:48:52 pm »

He made some inspiring speeches. Although they quite often weren't actually made by him. The ones that were recorded were made by the actor who played the older bloke in the menswear department in 'Are You being served'.

I've just been educated SB  Grin Grin
seneca bond

« Reply #394 on: June 30, 2011, 09:29:04 pm »

I've just been educated SB  Grin Grin
http://www.fpp.co.uk/bookchapters/WSC/Observer291000.html
hope this helps
yetion1
Administrator

READY

« Reply #395 on: June 30, 2011, 10:30:24 pm »

It wouldn’t surprise me if Winston also had a double. War was war and any propaganda given to the enemy to demoralize had to be good.
My own admiration comes not from politics or a party but simply because who else would have won the Great War that today allows me to speak English and not German? After the war he was soon gotten rid of so that the fat cats could continue.
seneca bond

« Reply #396 on: July 02, 2011, 12:43:07 pm »

who else? All the people and countrys taking part: which is what actually happened.
Churchill or whoever made some good speeches and looked pugnacious, but that was about it. His record in various roles in governmentduring a long career  is deeply questionable from a moral point of view and from a competence point of view.
seneca bond

« Reply #397 on: July 02, 2011, 12:50:21 pm »

http://www.globalresearch.ca/articles/CHU407A.html

this wasn't a question of warefare, but tribes who were 'getting in the way'.
yetion1
Administrator

READY

« Reply #398 on: September 10, 2012, 07:49:19 pm »

Looks like Lidle got away with altering planning,

https://planning.wakefield.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=M1ZXI7QQ01T00
yetion1
Administrator

READY

« Reply #399 on: October 01, 2014, 08:22:14 pm »

The incorrect planning decision passed by WMDC was against its own highways department who said "when someone is killed"........... That's not "if someone is killed". Last weekend yet another serious accident at the junction has taken the total in 2 years to over 15 incidents. The clock is ticking and sadly the law of averages suggests that WMDC highways were right. A death is soon on the cards.........

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum