Featherstone Make a Difference Forum
April 19, 2024, 02:49:40 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Supermarket

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Supermarket  (Read 19164 times)
yetion1
Administrator

READY

« Reply #340 on: January 04, 2011, 08:13:47 pm »

Dear Andrew

Happy New Year.

I appreciate there has been no response to my previous letter as it is the Christmas holidays. Due to further incidents and information received I believe you should be updated in between.

Christmas Eve got very spicy at the junction with large queues in all directions. At about 3.30pm a vehicle traveling from Purston attempted to turn right up Station lane. They later admitted they miss read the traffic lights because the traffic light that has been there for 10s of years was simply missing. The result was the vehicle attempting to turn right met another vehicle coming down from Station Lane. By good luck both cars swerved out of each others way. One vehicle ended up across the road and almost took out the new traffic island (that the expert’s state is in a safer place). Luckily no one was hurt.

A Featherstone tradition is the Boxing Day pub crawl. By late afternoon the hundreds of party goers were merry and taking ever more direct routes. One of these was crossing Pontefract Road to Girnhill Lane opposite the news agent. It is a miracle no one was killed. Lots of people crossing a road whilst drivers take a chance on what the missing traffic light column should say. The days drinking ended predictably with traffic cones and crash barrier blocks built up in to a sculpture that took up a full carriageway. This was put right the following day but would have been stopped immediately if the CCTV camera was still working that has been disconnected for months.

Further information and concern comes from a response by Ian Thompson to Brian Clayton that I have been passed a copy of. I have provided a copy below.

Date: 13 December 2010 14:40
Subject: RE: Planning Application 08/02751/SUB01
To: brian clayton <clayton.brian@googlemail.com>

Dear Mr Clayton

Further to your email of the 1 December 2010 regarding the above application I can confirm that your comments were made known to the Planning and Highways Committee when they considered the application to vary a condition regarding the footpath width at the corner of Station Lane/Wakefield Road/Pontefract Road, Featherstone.  The condition had originally imposed as a result of the permission granted in 2 April 2009 for the new Lidl Food Store in Featherstone.  At the time of the original application Members were aware of your comments regarding highway matters but nevertheless were of the opinion that the regeneration benefits of the proposed supermarket (now being developed) outweighed the highways concerns for Featherstone.
Ian Thomson

Service Director, Planning, Transportation and Highways

Wakefield Council

I and others have asked several times who is responsible to be questioned when a serious accident occurs. Ian Thompson appears to have been nominated as this individual within the local authority. You should find Mr. Thompsons remarks disturbing especially his final comments outlined in red. It appears that WMDC planning and highways do not care about the safety of Featherstone’s public. It also appears that if a business is big enough it will be allowed to do as it pleases. Many small businesses in Featherstone weekly receive visits from WMDC enforcement officers. It is fair to ask how big a business do you have to be in Featherstone to be allowed to get away with what you like. It appears that WMDC are in league with Lidle in some kind of plot to kill its opposition/ competition.

I have notice a huge sign board now erected on the Lidle site facing the road. I am not aware of any planning application? Many businesss in Featherstone have tried for years to advertise themselves better only to be IMMEDIATELY met by removal or threat of prosecution. Surely every business in Featherstone should be given the same chances.

Finally I have attached the letter that received this inadequate response. The letter shows what you expert should have shown. There are two ways of looking at this,

WMDC has made a huge mistake (as employed contractors) that they are prepared to nothing about. Featherstone casualties are stated as acceptable like the loss of infantry at the start of a battle. As this is not a battle the casualties will rack up for years.
Sensible and adequate plans have been provided free of charge by an expert. What are the qualifications of the WMDC experts who paid together cannot come up with a safe plan.

Hope to speak to you very

Regards Wink

Report Spam   Report to moderator   Logged

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum