Featherstone Make a Difference Forum
April 19, 2024, 02:16:33 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Supermarket

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Supermarket  (Read 19115 times)
yetion1
Administrator

READY

« Reply #300 on: September 28, 2010, 08:31:51 pm »

HSE
Marshall's Mill,
Marshall Street,
Leeds
LS11 9YJ

Ref: Featherstone Highway problems

To whom it concerns

I have attached recent correspondence from myself to WMDC.

On Friday 2 children and 3 adults, walking as pedestrians were almost killed at the junction of Wakefield Road and Pontefract road. There could have been others injured that were close by. There is a video of the incident that shows quite clearly how close the 5 people came to death. It is very fair to say that it is a miracle they were not killed. The junction suffers from high volume traffic that often pushes the speed limit when passing through. The fatality rate and injury rate at the junction has been high since at least 1963.

As you can see the junction is undergoing alterations. My concern is the long time these works are taking and the closed public footpaths that have been replaced with plastic cones. Pedestrians are now walking in the road without a metal barrier. The pedestrian volume of traffic is also considerable. This is a disaster waiting to happen.

I have contacted WMDC to inform them of Friday’s incident. I have not received any response other than what you see. The works that are underway are according to WMDC remedial works and not actual road works for the new supermarket. WMDC cannot confirm when the next works will start as there are “issues to resolve”. It appears that the works are after 6 weeks being dragged along at the expense of public safety. There should be a full out effort to complete the works ASAP and reinstate the pedestrian highway. From what can be seen the footpaths could be re-opened within 24hours. At least they could be part opened at night after work hours.

I have contacted you as I believe you should intervene and thus possibly save a life based on the facts. There is other information that is hearsay and without documents.

Regards Wink
Report Spam   Report to moderator   Logged
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum