Featherstone Make a Difference Forum
March 29, 2024, 12:19:41 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Ken Still "The Featherstone Legend"

Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ken Still "The Featherstone Legend"  (Read 2038 times)
yetion1
Administrator

READY

« on: January 07, 2011, 07:26:24 pm »

Ken Still
“The Featherstone Legend"

I and Featherstone have lost probably the best friend they ever had. Ken Still (but he never was still). For tens of years free of charge he ran about the country obtaining items for Featherstone without question or reward and out of his pocket.

For years he provided events for Featherstone. Yes the Featherstone Gala was better in Ken’s day before being snubbed (politics).

If you have ever attended a community event in Featherstone there would have been days/ weeks/ months of work behind the scenes by ken that no one ever would have guessed.

Ken never moaned even in the last 6 years with his knackered leg and hip joints. Not bad at 72 and still able to make 5am setting ups in Purston Park for Playday or the precinct for Halloween. Inspiration oozed from Ken.

Ken gave his 10 bobs worth for Lister Baths. I will all ways be grateful. Bacon buttes and tea in a protest caravan at 7am Sunday morning on Lister Close. Priceless.

The Featherstone War memorial Gardens were also deep in Ken’s heart. Hour after hour spent behind the scenes running about for parts or just grafting to make sure it happened.
The two wooden planters you can see outside the memorial are Kens creations that took many hours and at his expense for materials.

I have lost my best friend. I am gutted…………………………..
There is so much to say, so many stories it would be good to record.
Report Spam   Report to moderator   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Forkhandles

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 07:36:56 pm »

Feath will be all the poorer without him,RIP KEN.
Featherstonian
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 08:06:08 pm »

A sad loss
kimby

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 09:20:27 pm »

Such a wounderful tribute, my dad would be proud,there was nothing he enjoyed more. With such a wounderful group of friends he could make anything possible.
Ken's Daughter.
Thank you
san!

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2011, 07:55:28 am »

We in Featherstone have lost a wonderful person. Mr Still you will be sadly missed as you was one of the kind..."simply the best"

RIP Ken Still, god bless!
claytonroyston

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 09:19:48 am »

what a gentelman. as you say featherstone will be a lot sadder place for the loss of Ken,nothing was to much trouble for him and he would go out of his way to help you.i ran several gala,s in streethouse and could not have done it without Ken.Who was the first man on the field KEN erecting his swings and other things he had brought up ,and he was also the last man away.To many fond memories of Ken to put them all down here.
GOODBYE AND GOD BLESS

Fev has changed too much :S
ABBOO

"The King"

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 07:14:29 pm »

I'm not religous but god wanted a new right hand man upstairs to sort everyone out so he took the best, R.I.P Ken we will all miss you
Whistleblower

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011, 06:12:17 pm »

Sorry to hear this, condolences to his family
Victor

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2011, 09:10:18 pm »

A really sad loss, Ken would help anyone out and work all hours, a gentleman and a true friend. R.I.P.
yetion1
Administrator

READY

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2011, 06:58:15 pm »

Kens final journey will be on Wednesday 26th January and start from his home at 11 am and finish at Pontefract Crematorium. All Kens friends are then welcome back at the B + S Club. If you are going to the B + S Club please let Megan Jarvis or Brian Clayton know for numbers.
yetion1
Administrator

READY

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2011, 07:36:11 pm »

So good it had to be posted twice.

Came across this picture today. In my opinion it is and could be one of the greatest Featherstone moments captured on film.
I could let you try and work it out but the detail is just too Featherstonely interesting.
What you can see is Ken Still steadying a brass church bell. The bell had been removed from North Featherstone church along with 2 others and sent away to London to be re-tuned and serviced. This is the same bell that about 1501 3 monks from Nostel Priory took down from the Nostel Priory monastery and brought to Featherstone for safe keeping at the cross roads Farm now owned by the Huff family.
The tractor you see was Kens and still is. Ironically it should be up and working again this week. The chain holding the bell complete with hook is sat on the driver’s seat.
Whilst the bells were out of the church tower the oak woodwork was repaired and replaced. This was mainly funded by Ozzy Wilks. The same Ozzy that carried the sack of coal on his back from the Top House to the Bull Ring in Wakefield and back for a bet. Ozzy is stood in the back ground.

Forkhandles

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2011, 07:47:47 pm »

Smashing picture gareth,thanks for sharing Grin
yetion1
Administrator

READY

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2011, 09:39:30 pm »

Even in the Malaysian jungle while serving for England ken could acquire a useful item.

yetion1
Administrator

READY

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2011, 09:34:30 pm »

Just before this piece of Featherstone history goes to the great scrap man in the sky, thought you would like a last picture of the Featherstone Ducking Stool caravan.

yetion1
Administrator

READY

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2012, 08:29:36 pm »

Sadly it’s a year since my/ our dear friend Ken Still passed away.
There was an empty void this year without Ken. If you wished to forget you could not. His trade marks and good deeds litter Featherstone and are a fantastic reminder of what one good person can do to help and encourage a community.
Miss you Ken.

My thoughts are with Ken’s family tonight.
san!

« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2012, 09:02:25 am »

hear hear!!!
Victor

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2012, 10:09:17 pm »

Well said and a great bloke who would do anything for Featherstone and did on numerous occasions

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum