Featherstone Make a Difference Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:43:22 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Charge for bulky waste collections

Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Charge for bulky waste collections  (Read 1028 times)
Kim685

« on: January 01, 2011, 01:51:43 pm »

Taken from WMDC site:

We charge only £10 for the first collection per year and will collect and dispose of a maximum of three bulky items for this fee. Additional collections can also be arranged at a cost of £15 per three items collected.

So they're now charging for bulky waste on top of our council tax charges!

People will not be willing to pay the extra so this will just lead to even more fly tipping.
Nice move WMDC

They'll be charging us extra to empty our bins next!
Report Spam   Report to moderator   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Whistleblower

« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 01:52:16 pm »

They probably need the money to pay for some more useless councillors. We had our bin collection cancelled due to the snow (no gritting) so when they finally did empty it I had a bin liner about a quarter full on the top of the bin, they took the bag off the bin and threw it on the floor and left it, No Christmas tip for them then  Grin
Kim685

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 05:13:18 pm »

I'd complain if I were you, if they miss a collection, they are obliged to collect any extra rubbish as log as it's bagged, which yours was.

gillmul

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 07:46:36 pm »

I think its great that they are charing a fee for bulky items, these have not been factored in to council tax, and why should they, and why should i pay for someone elses waste, as that is what would happen if they had to include it into council tax,

but where do you start with the cost? who can you estimate how many bulky items need collecting over a year, how much the haulage is going to be, or the drivers wage to proportion wages?

I would rather have a pay as you go waste scheme than them over guessing this service and end up with an even bigger council tax bill esp for a service I might not even use or even worse coming up with a shortfall for it,

landfill at a cost fee is now £73.00 per tonne, haulage at cost is £1.30 per mile, the government have imposed a £8.00 per tonne tax this year and every year until 2014, this is to stop people landfilling and recycling more, it isnt Wakefield council that is to blame, they dont collect the rubbish in house its tendered out.

if one household throws away say a three piece, couple of wardrobes, beds plus matress and its a 20 mile round trip to and from wellbeck (as wakefiled is a big place), then at cost this would be £115.00 including driver wages, add on a profit margin ( as the council is a business and need to operates a profit) and then times this by the number of housholds that may use this throughout the wakefeild district, I for one am glad this cost is not being factored into my council tax bill.....

I think more could be given charities, homeless shelters, low income families,  some people throw out stuff thats perfectly usefull, best way to recycle is to reuse,

I hope this makes sense as I have a bigger understanding of this as I am a national contracts manager for a recycling / waste company and I have a few council tenders of my own!
Forkhandles

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 07:56:06 pm »

I'd like to know how much its costing to send teams of men round collecting all the fly-tipped rubish up thats there as a direct result of these collection charges Huh
gillmul

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 09:02:27 pm »

you would rather have a £100 or so charge on your council tax bill to dispose of these items and prevent fly tipping? I dont thank you, and i dont think its a hornets nest to stir up, i dont think anyone will thank you for it, esp if the council charge you for someone elses waste, i think a pay as you waste scheme is the perfect solution, plus fly tipping has been a probelm for years, not just since this charge was imposed,

Everyone seems to have a couple of grand or enough money to afford the luxery of new furniture but funny that no one has a spare flippin tenner to dispose of old furniture, shocking really, we have money when it suits,

but hey ho, something else to complain and moan about, lets beat up the council not the root cause because that may mean blaming our penny pinching selves??
Forkhandles

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2011, 09:23:47 pm »

I'm not trying to stir a hornets nest up Gill, its as plain as the nose on your face,it cant be denied,fly-tipping has gone through the roof since these charges were brought in,FACT. Grin
gillmul

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2011, 09:46:25 pm »

please display the report on these facts?

I will show you one on the increase in landfill, waste disposal and the growth over the last 5 years, hence why it is almost full, fly tipping was a massive problem in this country until the goverment enforced prosecution, it has done the trick and reduced by 75%

the fact is its not the council who are to blame, its the ones who wont put their hands in their pockets and pay for rubbish dispsal, seriously even if the council went back to doing it for free people will still fly tip, cause then that will be the councils fault too for not being quick enough and dont want rubbish in their garden... etc

but as you dont have a problem having the charge on your council tax, then i will give you a shout and you can pay my tenner when i want something disposing of!! :-)
Forkhandles

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2011, 09:54:14 pm »

Don't need a written report Gill,i've got my eyes and i spend a lot of time in the countryside,perhaps if you rode round the country lanes you'd see it too Grin
Whistleblower

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2011, 09:56:47 pm »

you would rather have a £100 or so charge on your council tax bill to dispose of these items and prevent fly tipping? I dont thank you, and i dont think its a hornets nest to stir up, i dont think anyone will thank you for it, esp if the council charge you for someone elses waste, i think a pay as you waste scheme is the perfect solution, plus fly tipping has been a probelm for years, not just since this charge was imposed,

Everyone seems to have a couple of grand or enough money to afford the luxery of new furniture but funny that no one has a spare flippin tenner to dispose of old furniture, shocking really, we have money when it suits,

but hey ho, something else to complain and moan about, lets beat up the council not the root cause because that may mean blaming our penny pinching selves??
Good point  Smiley
gillmul

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2011, 10:09:05 pm »

Don't need a written report Gill,i've got my eyes and i spend a lot of time in the countryside,perhaps if you rode round the country lanes you'd see it too Grin

I do and my eyes are not painted on you know,

flytipping has always been a problem FACT, but it is better than the 70s, 80s and 90s... where were you? alseep?

did you call the police or council to inform them of the flytipping, as 9/10 there is some form of tracability back to the owners as an old letter or junk letter is in a bag or stuffed down a sofa....

but hey, lets not blame the poor fly tippers, lets still blame the council, its no excuse, plus how much petrol do you think it had cost to get item from A to B, about a tenner?? so why not phone the council and dispose of properly!

its the fly tippers to blame not the council.....
Forkhandles

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2011, 12:33:37 pm »

Yes Gill,i report fly-tipping regular on the wakefield road allotments,and yes,i agree fly-tipping has always been a problem,what i'm saying,is that its gotten worse since the council have started charging to take rubbish away,theres a large pile of rubbish on the allotment site that we've been waiting for at least three years to have it moved,numerous people have reported it, but it all falls on deaf ears,perhaps its getting reported at the wrong time,perhaps it needs reporting during the election campaign. Grin

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum