Featherstone Make a Difference Forum
March 28, 2024, 04:40:16 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

A5 Consent - Takeaway Madness

Pages: 1 2 3 4 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A5 Consent - Takeaway Madness  (Read 5348 times)
Ruthie

« on: May 08, 2008, 05:23:15 pm »

Everyone in Featherstone has to know about Station Lanes reputation as the 'Cut and Gut'
To add insult to injury there is another planning application for a 'hot food takeaway' where the old cop shop was.

There is no way that we need yet another takeaway  Angry
What the people of Featherstone need are shops that are for retail and not fast food.
It really is getting beyond a joke and its starting to get on my nerves  Angry   Sad   Angry
Report Spam   Report to moderator   Logged

Mmmm.... Barbie Wink

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Forkhandles

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 11:49:00 am »

Can't agree with you more ruthie, we've more than we need now, what are wmdc playing at Huh in one breath they're encouraging us to eat healthy, and in the next they're giving the go-ahead for yet more junk food outlets Roll Eyes
Mr T

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 12:02:56 pm »

I think 3 Chinese take aways, 3 Cafés, 4 Pizza places, 1 Indian Restaurant and 1 fish & Chip shop is more than enough for Station Lane Grin although I'd never say no to a Burger King..Mmm..HEE HEE  Tongue

"I PITY THE FOOL"
Ruthie

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 12:07:36 pm »

You missed one Mr T!
There's that CFC place as well now . . . [funny how it reminds me or aerosol sprays  Roll Eyes ]

Mmmm.... Barbie Wink
Mr T

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 12:09:54 pm »

Sorry Ruthie, but your wrong, Tongue I included that in one of the 4 pizza places as they do pizza'z as well.
NER NER NER NER NERRR Tongue

"I PITY THE FOOL"
Ruthie

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008, 12:12:31 pm »

Shocked but but but. . .its a chicken place not a pizza place!

unless they do chicken pizzas  Grin   Grin 

hmmmm, im hungry now  Sad

Mmmm.... Barbie Wink
yetion1
Administrator

READY

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2008, 08:04:35 pm »

call me thick ruthie, could you remind me what was the old co-op building? Grin
Ruthie

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2008, 08:11:10 pm »

I don’t even know where the old co-op building was lol

what i meant was the old police office (cop shop), the one next to Drannies, or at least, that’s the one that me and mum worked it out to be from what was said in the paper

do correct me if im wrong though . . . you know what us blondes are like  Grin

Mmmm.... Barbie Wink
Mr T

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2008, 04:12:03 pm »

I think Yetion1 should have gone to specsavers Cool for thinking you'd put Co-op instead of Cop Shop...I thought that was funny..HEE HEE  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

"I PITY THE FOOL"
yetion1
Administrator

READY

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2008, 05:55:02 pm »

looks like is was my turn for a thick blonde moment Huh

so its the old cop shop? is this definate as when i shortly reveal some thing you will understand my concern. untill early next week lets just say there are plans for more and i/ we are working on stopping any more. Wink
Ruthie

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2008, 06:08:13 pm »

I may be wrong with the shop, but thats where i got it from . . .
Maybe we're all going blonde  Huh

Mmmm.... Barbie Wink
yetion1
Administrator

READY

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2008, 06:47:23 pm »

i missed that one but had heard from another source. the shop in question is the butchers.

I suppose I had better explain the plot as something new has shown its face that has to be fort against. I was made aware of this earlier in the week. Since then me and Roy have been looking at what is going on as it is fair to say the take away situation is beyond a joke in Featherstone.
The butcher is a rented property. The owner is placing the planning application.  WHY IS THE NEW PROBLEM! The British local economy including Featherstone is diving to rock bottom. What landlords have worked out is that if they apply for planning permission for A5 consent ( or fast food outlet) that they can be almost certain to rent the property within 24 hours. In the present climate I can understand this with many empty shops around. The down side as you will no is smell, blocked drains, rubbish and just too many resulting in a less trading town.
As far as I am concerned enough is enough. You will see shortly what we are going to do about it.  It will require all of your help. Wink
Ruthie

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2008, 09:27:32 am »

ahh, well that solves the confusion of which shop it was   Grin

Mmmm.... Barbie Wink
yetion1
Administrator

READY

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2008, 03:19:59 pm »

Featherstone chamber of trade and commerce

Planning services
Newton bar
Wakefield

Ref: 08/00860/ful, 51 Station lane

To the planning committee,
The above mentioned application is the final straw to the negative input so far received to help towards the regeneration of Featherstone by planning law.
 THERE IS A NEW PROBLEM! The British local economy including Featherstone is diving to rock bottom. What landlords have worked out is that if they apply for planning permission for A5 consent ( or fast food outlet) that they can be almost certain to rent the property within 24 hours. Without making any accusation I have to ask why 24 hours. So many takeaways cannot be profitable leaving suggestions for other motives. In the present climate I can understand this with many empty shops around. The down side is a potential for every shop to do the same.
For over 6 years many volunteers have worked tirelessly to improve station lane and Featherstone. Unfortunately our description of “a regeneration area” is now working against us.
Station lane has all ready got 14 fast food outlets with 1 more passed making 15. This application would make 16. If you add 3 other sites that all ready have permission then you can understand the concern of 16 plus takeaways in a quarter mile.
Some may consider that it is unfair for the chamber to condemn new business. Our decision is based on pure saturation that leaves many shops closed all day and only open at night as takeaways. This is not helping the regeneration of the town as it is becoming commercially un-friendly due to the spread of shops. This is not to mention the 5PM smell in station lane, the drainage problems with fat and the rubbish that the council pay to clear.
So serious are the efforts of regeneration that the coal regeneration trust who are due to start work hear for the next 3 years hands on, have also voiced their concern as to has the WMDC regeneration department.
I plead with the planning board to say no at take any un-usual steps that can be dealt to place a maximum number of A5 units in station lane. The ideal number would 10. How we get there is unknown. What is known is that 1 more is the end. The best advice we would be able to offer would be joining in the system and rob Featherstone’s town for your own purse and make takeaways and flats out of shops. The town should be almost dead within 3 years.

please add to this and send your own complaint.
Featherstonian
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2008, 07:26:08 pm »

Great letter yeti
Ruthie

« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2008, 08:44:57 pm »

Thanks for those  Smiley

I can now put an end to my confusion about what the cop shop is going to be.

Mmmm.... Barbie Wink
yetion1
Administrator

READY

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2008, 10:20:06 pm »

Ref: planning application number 08/00860/ful, 51 Station Lane

The above mentioned application is the final straw to the negative input so far received to help towards the regeneration of Featherstone by planning law.

For over 6 years many volunteers and councillors have worked tirelessly to improve station lane and Featherstone. This extends to the newly released Featherstone master plan that took a year to produce and almost £82,000.00 in costs. Unfortunately our description of “a regeneration area” is now working against us. This now hinders the master plan and leaves a cloud over Featherstone.

Station lane has all ready got 14 fast food outlets with 1 more passed making 15. This application would make 16. If you add 3 other sites that all ready have permission then you can understand the concern of 16 plus takeaways in a quarter mile.

Some may consider that it is unfair for the chamber to condemn new business. Our decision is based on pure saturation that leaves many shops closed all day and only opening at night as takeaways. This is not helping the regeneration of the town as it is becoming commercially un-friendly due to the spread of shops. Outside businesses looking at Featherstone now are being put off because of this fact. The problem is not only in Featherstone but also prominent in Pontefract, Hemsworth Market street, Barnsley road South Elmsall, Osett town centre and Wakefield town centre. This is not to mention the 5PM smell in station lane, the drainage problems with fat and the rubbish that the council pay to clear. The anti social behaviour from youths, who congregate in front of some of these, ranges from graffiti to bricks through car windows. Station lane and other wards are becoming a lesser place to wish to be in on an evening and to trade during the day due to this.

So serious are the efforts towards regeneration that the coal regeneration trust who are due to start work hear for the next 3 years hands on, have also voiced their concern as to has the WMDC regeneration department.

I have pleaded with the planning board to take any steps they can to place a maximum number of A5 units in station lane. The ideal number would 10. How we get there is unknown. What is known is that 1 more is the end of any hope of regeneration.

THERE IS ALSO A NEW PROBLEM! The British local economy including Featherstone and its surrounding wards are diving to commercial rock bottom. What some profiteer landlords that don’t give a dam about the area have worked out is that if they apply for planning permission for A5 consent ( or fast food outlet) that they can be almost certain to rent the property within 24 hours. You have to ask why 24 hours. So many takeaways cannot be profitable. Sue me for saying that I am aware of at lest 1 takeaway that receives little or no custom yet has operated for the past 4 years. In the present climate I can understand this with many empty shops around. The down side is a potential for every shop to do the same. THE PROBLEM AND A LIMIT MUST BE ADDRESSED AND SET.

There is a solution? Wakefield council has the power and resources to “opt out”. This option would be a policy implemented by WMDC that could regulate types of business and the volume of premises. This has been done in other areas and MUST be implemented NOW in Featherstone as a matter of urgency.

I await a speedy reply,
yetion1
Administrator

READY

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2008, 10:21:00 pm »

Thank you for your Email regarding the above. Cllr Box has asked me to reply on his behalf.

You raise some valid points in your Email and I will take these up with Ian Thomson who I am meeting later today. Either Ian or myself will respond to you more fully after we have been able to discuss the points you raise and how we might be able to move forward.

Kind regards,

Andy Wallhead
Corporate Director Regeneration, Culture and Sport
Wakefield MDC
yetion1
Administrator

READY

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2008, 07:28:24 pm »

Further to your email to Councillor Box dated 20 June 2008 this application is still under consideration and your comments will be taken into account in reaching a decision.

We have checked with Environmental Health colleagues and understand that there is not a history of significant complaints from the existing takeaways in Station Lane which have caused nuisance or noise for residents.

The accumulative impact is being considered even though there is no specific policy in the Unitary Development Plan on this issue.  We will advise you when a decision is made on this application.

Ian Thomson

Service Director, Planning

Wakefield Council

Regeneration, Culture and Sport Servcies

Newton Bar

Wakefield

WF1 2TX

01924 305858
karen

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2008, 02:50:30 pm »

what other shopes would you like to see instead of them