Featherstone Make a Difference Forum
March 28, 2024, 02:20:54 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

The Tunnel/s from Nostel Priory to Featherstone myth

Pages: « 1 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Tunnel/s from Nostel Priory to Featherstone myth  (Read 5360 times)
Forkhandles

« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2012, 09:37:04 pm »

Not forgetting most of the area was forrested....there'd be tree roots to contend with. Grin
Report Spam   Report to moderator   Logged
laughing buffallo man

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2012, 12:53:43 pm »

Undecided Embarrassed Grin

Sure its all good.

Right, ok. They dont exist. The tattooist who fell into the lead clad tunnel in Wakefield was dreaming. So was the guy I spoke to who helped excavate the tunnel leading toward the cathedral.
There was also a strange out of body experience by a teacher who was in the middle of derlivering a talk in Wakefield when his lesson was interrupted by men in uniform who insisted they leave the building while they capped the entrance to a tunnel.

Now, tell me also about the origin of stone coffins recently excavated from beneath the Wakefield Cathedral. I havent seen these but record of them exists. The stone coffin (without lid or original contents) in the grounds of Normanton church is attributed to Templars. One thing I can say with a fair degree of certainty is that history is normally recorded by the victors.
primax

« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2012, 03:14:12 pm »

Undecided Embarrassed Grin

Sure its all good.

Right, ok. They dont exist. The tattooist who fell into the lead clad tunnel in Wakefield was dreaming. So was the guy I spoke to who helped excavate the tunnel leading toward the cathedral.
There was also a strange out of body experience by a teacher who was in the middle of derlivering a talk in Wakefield when his lesson was interrupted by men in uniform who insisted they leave the building while they capped the entrance to a tunnel.

Now, tell me also about the origin of stone coffins recently excavated from beneath the Wakefield Cathedral. I havent seen these but record of them exists. The stone coffin (without lid or original contents) in the grounds of Normanton church is attributed to Templars. One thing I can say with a fair degree of certainty is that history is normally recorded by the victors.
No one's saying that tunnels don't exist - they do and if you read whats been posted there is evidence of such tunnels. The length of the tunnels you are talking about from Newlands to Wakefield is what is in question. I'd wager a bet that if you can show me a tunnel from Newlands to Wakefield and walk through it i'll show my **** in what used to be Woolworths window.
Forkhandles

« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2012, 08:13:32 pm »

I was just going to say something similar Primax,has anyone ever walked any of these tunnels from entry to exit Grin
yetion1
Administrator

READY

« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2012, 08:32:14 pm »

Old Stonian you may be able to shed some light. Been talking to a resident near you about the air raid shelter tunnel. By the sounds of it there is much more than I knew and probably many others. Has there been any mention of such a thing near you?
Old Stonian

« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2012, 02:36:29 pm »

I know nothing about an air raid tunnel. Anderson shelters were delivered to those with a back garden (our's was in Moor Road) and the council built shelters in the streets where the backs were brick blocked  (Mount Pleasant Street is one example). The Anderson shelters could be bought for a small sum after the war, and the street shelters were nearly all demolished. The one opposite the fish shop on Pontefract raod survived and was converted to a hair dressing salon and then private housing. I think the subject heading says it all. ie it is a myth.
The sand tunnels in Pontefract were used as air raid shelters. I have never seen or heard of anything similar in Purston or south Featherstone.
yetion1
Administrator

READY

« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2015, 04:13:24 pm »

Sadly a supposed to be kept secret has come to light this week.
Prior to building works on the Girnhill Estate you will have noticed many holes drilled and pipes left sticking out. This was to inject grout/ concrete in to various underground imperfections. However it appears during the surveys that a number of huge underground cavities had shown up on scans. This is a report about 3 particular holes that has come to light.
Hole 1 & 2. A large boring machine was brought in to drill 2 locations opposite Ronnie’s old house. The first hole found a stone cap over the top of a large bell pit. This was drilled open and filled. The second hole was the same but when the drill broke through the stone cap the top collapsed and almost took the whole machine with it. The hole was recorded at measuring 16 metres deep to the surface from the rubble filled bottom. A big hole by any standard! Amazingly it had a house sat on it for years.
Hole 3 is most interesting. Hole 3 was a break in to a tunnel. The tunnel ran under Ronnie’s garden and on towards Nostel Priory. Is this another dot on the tunnel map?
Such a shame none of this is being preserved for a number of reasons. Surely it is of historical interest and holds possible tourism chances for Featherstone. The only plus is that grouting was supposed to be every 3 metres but was apparently done every 6 metres. Perhaps the tunnels will be exposed when the houses sink?

yetion1
Administrator

READY

« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2019, 01:26:12 pm »

Bumped in to an old Featherstone guy at the end of Post Office road looking at the signs on the fence. Got in to conversation about the air raid shelter. Then he came out with a corker I had not heard before.  He asked did I know about the Liptons tunnel? Obviously not. Apparently when this guy was about 8 the Liptons supermarket that is now One Stop was boarded up after closing. He and other kids used to play in the empty building. One day they ventured in to the cellar and found a door leading to a passage. The passage was a tunnel and the kids did not dare go too far. The kids left and returned with candles and one posh kid got a torch. They set off down the tunnel scared to death and eventually came to the end and another opening. The kids found themselves in the cellar of the house that was recently knocked down next to the Cora Pub. The tunnel became a dare thing with the kids who would hide in the tunnel to frighten people trying the dare. I long tunnel by any standards.
One thought is the well that was found a few years ago that is in line with this.

Pages: « 1 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum