Featherstone Make a Difference Forum
March 29, 2024, 02:23:51 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

The Tunnel/s from Nostel Priory to Featherstone myth

Pages: 1 2 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Tunnel/s from Nostel Priory to Featherstone myth  (Read 5416 times)
primax

« on: January 01, 2012, 11:53:28 am »

It is always interesting to read the pros and cons surrounding this subject.
From my un-educated view based on what little I have seen one tunnel was cut in to solid rock yet appeared to go up and down in depth according to how this stone layer had been formed. Also every 12 ish metres the tunnel turned left and then back to the right in a zigzag. The rock tunnel was circular perhaps to act as its own brace?
There is no doubt there was technology that is lost today.

There's no doubt Yetion that people had the ability to cut through rock in those days. Mill hill at Pontefract is a prime example of how this was done with its massive network of caves and tunnels cut into the solid sandstone, they stretch for hundreds of metre's and many have been closed down due to the instability of the ground and problems with flooding. There is much debate on what these caves were used for and there are some interesting bits and bobs on the web about them. The castle at Ponty also had a few caves and tunnels although not as long as what people think they are. Again also cut into solid sandstone but these caves served a purpose being used as cold stores, prisons and magazines over the years. The Victorians used them to store liquorish in when it was grown in the castle grounds and they also used the caves up Mill hill to do the same when liquorish was grown in the Valley gardens. My doubts about tunnels come into play when people are claiming that tunnels go for miles. Tunnels that cover vast distances are bound to come across many geological problems such as poor materials.
For example, lets just suggest we wanted to tunnel from Mill hill to Station lane, Featherstone. Only a couple of miles, when you start tunneling in the solid sandstone at Mill hill that will be OK. You then come down Marlpit hill past the Crematorium and the natural sandstone stops and is replaced by shale and coal deposits underneath Monkroyd farm. These deposits were exploited during medieval times by the use of bell pits which are dotted in several locations around Monkroyd farm. The coal seems are very close to the surface and appear at the actual surface in the field next to the Jubilee steps in Purston. Coal and shale appear scattered on the surface and the profile of this coal can be seen in the deep ditches around there. Tunneling through this material would cause extreme difficulties because of the methane and the low land which would cause flooding. You would need the same kind of technology as the mining industry.
So to sum up my argument i would say: tunneling around these parts is possible and has indeed been achieved but only when the conditions are suitable such as solid sandstone or solid limestone. I think that's a fair anology.
Report Spam   Report to moderator   Logged

Pages: 1 2 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum