Featherstone Make a Difference Forum
March 28, 2024, 01:55:59 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Vintage Featherstone Rovers

Pages: « 1 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vintage Featherstone Rovers  (Read 5541 times)
yetion1
Administrator

READY

« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2009, 09:44:10 pm »

Thanks to a good friend the slides have now been converted..... enjoy Featherstone Rovers 1967

Report Spam   Report to moderator   Logged
yetion1
Administrator

READY

« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2009, 09:05:39 pm »

I stand corrected as 2 of the 3 last pictures are the correct date. If you know the years please post.
3 more to enjoy,

Those ladies to me show what to be a Featherstonian is or was. In their day i bet they must have been very chuffed to have the cup outside their front door.

Forkhandles

« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2009, 09:32:47 pm »

The lady on the left, looks like my gran, she was a keen rovers fan.
yetion1
Administrator

READY

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2010, 09:28:23 pm »

yetion1
Administrator

READY

« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2011, 09:18:30 pm »

For anyone who did not know a large part of Featherstone/ Rovers history Passed away earlier this year, Billy Williams.
Thankyou to his son for showing this,

Forkhandles

« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2011, 08:29:54 pm »

He wasn't only a  part of rovers history,he was a very good local historian,an occomplished ornithologist, and all round natural historian. R.I.P Mr williams.
yetion1
Administrator

READY

« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2011, 09:03:01 pm »

Many thanks again for a quick chance to take a picture of another piece of Featherstone.
The picture speaks for its self. Inside the cover is an additional detail of “Josh Edwards age 5 years”. Not sure who this is or if relevant?
Love the wooden stand in the back ground. Not seen it in a picture so close before. Bet you could smell the wood.
What a totally different atmosphere than today. Also love all the shirts and ties. No track suits… Probably not invented?
Have you noticed the grass. No levingtons in them days.

seneca bond

« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2011, 02:05:21 pm »

He wasn't only a  part of rovers history,he was a very good local historian,an occomplished ornithologist, and all round natural historian. R.I.P Mr williams.
it wass billy's son jimmy who died. Bill: Rovers first ever physio died a long time ago.
He was a good friend of my father's from boyhood.
Jimmy was in the Royal Army medical Corps during the war
My father was in the royal navy. in 1941 his ship was sunk off the coast of North Africa. The survivors(the entire crew), were taken to Alexandria Egypt by the Australian destroyer HMAS  Vendetta. Whilst there waiting to be repatriated he was taken ill and ws hospitalised. Who should be looking after him but his friend Jimmy.
Forkhandles

« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2011, 07:16:18 pm »

it wass billy's son jimmy who died. Bill: Rovers first ever physio died a long time ago.
He was a good friend of my father's from boyhood.
Jimmy was in the Royal Army medical Corps during the war
My father was in the royal navy. in 1941 his ship was sunk off the coast of North Africa. The survivors(the entire crew), were taken to Alexandria Egypt by the Australian destroyer HMAS  Vendetta. Whilst there waiting to be repatriated he was taken ill and ws hospitalised. Who should be looking after him but his friend Jimmy.

CORRECT SB Embarrassed, and thats a smashing little story Grin
yetion1
Administrator

READY

« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2011, 08:18:58 pm »

Another snipit of Rovers History from Billy,

seneca bond

« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2011, 09:05:59 am »

the ladies holding 'the cup' are in fact holding the yorkshire cup. This means that the picture was taken in 1959, as was the team picture with the bullock shed in the background
one was taken around 1965, as my cousin is on the photo and that's when he played for them
seneca bond

« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2011, 09:11:35 am »

I know nothing about this picture

this is probably the 1919/20 side.
seneca bond

« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2011, 09:15:45 am »

The 2 pictures are of an era when the Rovers were known as the "FEATHERSTONE PIGS or FEATHERSTONE STEAM PIGS". Aparently thier all red tops and white shorts with warmed up bodies made them look like the name. The first picture is 1926, the second 1927. I have 1 name for both teams. can we name the rest and fill in the blanks?

1926 left to right
blank         blank         blank         blank         blank         blank         blank         blank         blank
                blank         blank         blank         blank         blank         blank         blank
                                                Stuart Smith              blank

1927 left to right
        blank         blank         blank         blank         blank         blank         blank         blank
                        blank         blank         blank         blank         blank         blank
                                           blank        Stuart Smith      blank         blank            
this is not featherstone rovers, but featherstone rugby union team who were known as the steam pigs.

a steam pig was a steam resevoir used in industrial boilers, which actually looked like a pig. There is one in Bradford's industrial museum. Bradford Northern now Bradford Bulls rugby league club were known as the steam pigs.
seneca bond

« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2011, 09:20:46 am »

the two men with the challenge cup are abe bullock and bob jackson, Abe owned the B and S bus company, which later was bought out by the West Riding bus company, Bob owned the el3edtrical shop, which is now the video game shop in the lane.
yetion1
Administrator

READY

« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2012, 07:35:11 pm »

Does anyone know anything about a song made in Featherstone about the “Flat Cappers”? Apparently some fans got together and wrote a song that was recorded.
Mark Las Palmas

« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2013, 01:22:09 pm »

I'd love to use some photos from this thread on my blog.....

http://marklaspalmas.blogspot.com.es/
yetion1
Administrator

READY

« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2013, 07:15:31 pm »

For none profit you are more than welcome to use the images for your blog that I must comment looks really good. Great work. If a profit could be made the volunteers building the Rovers new ground, deserve it. The pictures are available digital.
If you can use some pictures to promote the Rovers and if it is possible please mention where you got them and the other people who have built up our little bit of Rovers history.
 Grin
Mark Las Palmas

« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2013, 12:09:29 pm »

Thank you. Wink
Bob

« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2013, 03:22:48 pm »

been trying to think up a good new theme song for supporters to sing but can only remenber a song sung many years a go during the riegn of freddy miller it went , you know what the lads did the lads did to wigan thell do it again we know that the task was a bigen Huh
stanjohn

« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2014, 11:12:08 pm »

the driver is Keith Pritchard, I was asked to drive it but had other commitments

Pages: « 1 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum