Featherstone Make a Difference Forum
March 28, 2024, 04:01:38 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Girnhill WMC

Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Girnhill WMC  (Read 1186 times)
Kim685

« on: April 06, 2010, 09:47:26 pm »

Anyone know why everybody calls the Girnhill WMC "Corra"? Was it called The Coronation at some point?
Report Spam   Report to moderator   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Forkhandles

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 10:02:29 am »

I think you've got it in one kim Grin
Mr T

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 07:16:51 pm »

I'll second that Forkhandles! You are spot on Kim! It used to be called the Coronation Club, and even though it's name has changed, everybody (including those that have only known it as Girnhill Lane W.M.C.) still refer to it as the Corra! Even when they play the panel games (Darts, Domino's etc) either home or away, their T shirt's have "Girnhill Lane W.M.C." on the front, but across the back is the word "Corra"  Smiley

"I PITY THE FOOL"
Forkhandles

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 07:36:32 pm »

Old habits die hard in feath kim, tredgets will always be tredgets,and dransfields will always be dransfields, and for me the rovers ground will always be post office road, and don't get me going about crumpets, whats them, they're pickelets Grin Grin
Kim685

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 07:41:22 pm »

Thought it must have been, but it would be interesting to know when it changed. I worked there for 7 years and everyone I asked didn't know. Yes, we still call the PO tredgetts, tredgos or even joe's lol

j4elephant

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2010, 08:19:59 pm »

Old habits die hard in feath kim, tredgets will always be tredgets,and dransfields will always be dransfields, and for me the rovers ground will always be post office road, and don't get me going about crumpets, whats them, they're pickelets Grin Grin

crumpets  i always called decorations for tree wesling cups now they call thembaubles

JOAN
Kim685

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2010, 09:44:25 pm »

crumpets  i always called decorations for tree wesling cups now they call thembaubles

They'll always be wessel cups to me lol

j4elephant

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2010, 10:23:00 pm »

They'll always be wessel cups to me lol

all my grandchildren laugh at me when i call them that glad some one else can remember

JOAN
Forkhandles

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2010, 09:33:08 am »

Wessel cups for me to, i've discussed this with people from all over the place, and it seems wessel cups are peculiar to feath only Grin
Forkhandles

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2010, 09:35:22 am »

Hey, lets carry this thread on, it could be interesting Grin
Victor

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2010, 03:45:05 pm »

Wessell Cups for me as well FH, is baubles an american thing I dont know, but my daughter who is early twenties calls them baubles
Kim685

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2010, 03:57:16 pm »

I had a friend visit me last year from Bedford and I made some sandwiches, I asked if she wanted a breadcake and she said "what's a breadcake"? Apparently they call them rolls

I still call the butchers in the lane Flavells lol

Forkhandles

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2010, 05:41:13 pm »

I had a friend visit me last year from Bedford and I made some sandwiches, I asked if she wanted a breadcake and she said "what's a breadcake"? Apparently they call them rolls

Scufflers, my mam always used to make them triangle shaped, straight out of the oven with butter Tongue Tongue
j4elephant

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2010, 07:35:27 pm »

Scufflers, my mam always used to make them triangle shaped, straight out of the oven with butter Tongue Tongue

my mam tried to make sum one year when there was a shortage of bread and she could only get dried yeast
they turned out like bricks (infact my brother ) took one out at night time and used it as a door stop in the jubilee hotel wot a laugh mam did'ent think so

JOAN
Kim685

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2010, 10:41:48 pm »

I remember your mam Joan, lovely woman  Grin

j4elephant

« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2010, 11:04:42 pm »

I remember your mam Joan, lovely woman  Grin

her bread making was'ent nice thou

JOAN
Mr T

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2010, 05:07:12 pm »

I love the nickname given to Lorraine's fish shop in the lane "Greasy Lil's"...lol...! I know Lorraine has had it for many many years, so where does Lil come into it?  Grin.

"I PITY THE FOOL"
Forkhandles

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2010, 07:31:37 pm »

Could be just a figure of speach mr T, lil this, lil that ect Grin

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum