Featherstone Make a Difference Forum
March 29, 2024, 01:59:12 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Verner Street

Pages: 1 2 3 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Verner Street  (Read 4546 times)
Kim685

« on: January 28, 2010, 07:50:57 pm »

When my daughter, who lives on Verner, asked for a new fireplace because hers is in disrepair, she was told no. The reason they gave was the houses were being upgraded this year.
If this is so, why hasn't any gas pipes been laid yet? (Ours were done the year before the house was) Also our tenant choice event was held 6 months in advance of the work starting and there's been none arranged yet for Verner.
It's about time the residents were told what the plans are  Angry
Report Spam   Report to moderator   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Forkhandles

« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 08:12:30 pm »

I think it speaks for itself kim Sad
Kim685

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 12:35:10 pm »

Yet another year is almost over and still no improvements for the tenants on Verner. A promise was made last year (sent out by letter to tenants) that a decision would be made this year whether to go ahead with improvements. Well it's now October and the residents are still waiting for that decision. They now face another winter in cold, damp and draughty houses with only expensive, outdated, partial solid fuel central heating. Coal last winter was £13 a bag and will almost certainly be more expensive this winter. With only one small radiator to heat the whole of upstairs, it doesn't even take the chill off. Windows are rotting and the houses just get more damp each year.
These people deserve better!

Kim685

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2010, 01:35:41 pm »

Still no decision made about Verner, WDH have just 4 weeks left to honour their promise of letting the residents know what's going on. Had reports this morning of ice on the INSIDE of the windows on Verner, this means that upstairs rooms are below freezing. WDH should hang their heads in shame

Little Miss Sunshine

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2010, 07:06:45 pm »

That is so true! I live on Verner! My house is like an icebox and as I can't afford coal I'm having to rely on electric heaters!

I'm going through so much electric its not real!

All my upstairs windows are covered in a thick sheet of ice, I just hope the windows don't crack when the ice melts!
Whistleblower

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2010, 11:43:39 am »

That is so true! I live on Verner! My house is like an icebox and as I can't afford coal I'm having to rely on electric heaters!

All my upstairs windows are covered in a thick sheet of ice, I just hope the windows don't crack when the ice melts!
If they do crack you may get new double glazed ones put in  Wink
Kim685

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2010, 07:03:27 pm »

If they do crack you may get new double glazed ones put in  Wink
I seriously doubt it, any repairs on Verner are just being patched up, they'll probably just reglaze. They are obviously spending as little as possible on Verner. One of the residents, whose fireplace was falling to bits got it recemented back to the wall and a few new (not matching) tiles put on

Kim685

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2010, 10:06:27 am »

This was taken by a Verner St tenant this morning, ice in the INSIDE of window.....this is what they have to put up with

Forkhandles

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2010, 12:09:36 pm »

Havn't seen that since i were a kid kim,it shouldn't be like this these days.
Doberman1979

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2010, 06:11:38 pm »

Hi there

As one of the few stupid enough to actually buy on Verner I dont get the WDH info that you guys seem to, does anyone one have anything concrete from them? I havent been contacted by them at all but given the amount of empty, boarded up houses, am now starting to get worried. Does anyone have any contacts or know anyone at WDH/WMDC thats of some actual use? Oh and is Brentwood deff being flattened too?

Cheers Simon
yetion1
Administrator

READY

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2010, 08:10:43 pm »

Hi Doberman

A fair set of questions you rightly ask.
As it stands WDH will tell you Verner is staying up. If it is it will have to have its re-fit completed by the end of 2011. That’s where it gets even more interesting as a new gus supply is needed and was due to be a joint cost shared with the new Girnhill estate. Whatever way 2011 was always going to be the decider.
Houses are being sold to WMDC according to land registry. Why? Has to be another Girnhell situation.
It would be useful for many if you did ask your questions for the records.
WMDC buying means that it is part of their regeneration. The head of regeneration is Andrew Wallhead on 01924 306951 or e-mail awallhead@wakefield.gov.uk
WDH have estate managers. Try Allan Bullock on 788155 or e-mail abullock@wdh.co.uk. If cannot help he will know who can.
Will take untill end of January to ask other sources.

Your comments are well timed and please let us all know any replies. Every little helps.
The Girnhill estate has not bitten the dust yet and 2011 looks set to be full of stories. I believe up to 8 houses will go up in flames well before summer. The bullying never stopped and in the last week has changed tacked. A letter that has been received by a home owner will be posted here very shortly after the residents solicitor has finished with it.
Doberman1979

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2010, 09:15:38 pm »

Thanks for that, I suspect my emails will sit un-read in their inbox's untill the new year but its a start! Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Simon
Doberman1979

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2010, 09:35:20 pm »

Sorry, Yestion1

Out of interest do you know how many houses WDH have sold to WMDC? My (poss floored) understanding was that when WDH came about WMDC did a "stock transfer" to the WDH, handing the lot over to them so that they basically ran all council houses for them, if they are now buying them back again, I agree that doesnt look very good....I see no legit reson for them doing that.

If there are any other private owners on here, I'd be interested to know if you have been contacted at all by either WDH or WMDC? Dont know about you, but if they do the same to us as they did to the poor sods on Girnhill am a bit stuffed, the £40 grand they got is a bit short of paying my mortgage off.... Undecided
merlin

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2010, 10:06:19 pm »

You could always try your local District Councillors

Kay Binnersley

http://www.wakefield.gov.uk/CouncilAndDemocracy/Councillors/Councillors/Binnersley+Kay.htm

Dick Taylor

http://www.wakefield.gov.uk/CouncilAndDemocracy/Councillors/Councillors/TaylorDick.htm

Pauline Guy

http://www.wakefield.gov.uk/CouncilAndDemocracy/Councillors/Councillors/Guy+Pauline.htm
Kim685

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2010, 09:00:01 am »

Doberman, a little bit of info for you. Last summer (2010) 2 men (who identified themselves as being from a demolition firm) asked to look round Brentwood. The warden, having no prior knowledge to this, refused them. They said it didn't matter because "they had pulled down similar buildings and had a good enough idea from what they had seen".
Also I think from the fact that only emergency repairs are being carried out on the houses and the fact that houses don't seem to be being re-let rather speaks for itself.

Whistleblower

« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2010, 10:28:38 am »

Waste of time asking Labour Binnersley or Taylor as it was Labour that caused the demise of Girnhill lane. The shuttered houses on Verner are getting Re-let but require work doing in them first, If WDH were more selective with some of the tenants they put in it could be a good estate, after all the houses are not that old its just some residents wreck them but they’d also wreck the new houses
Whistleblower

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2010, 10:30:54 am »

but if they do the same to us as they did to the poor sods on Girnhill am a bit stuffed, the £40 grand they got is a bit short of paying my mortgage off.... Undecided
Some of the residents who lived in the brick houses got there own valuations and did quite well as the council did honour the valuations, it’s the ones in the prefab houses I feel sorry for  Sad
Kim685

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2010, 11:03:14 am »

Waste of time asking Labour Binnersley or Taylor as it was Labour that caused the demise of Girnhill lane. The shuttered houses on Verner are getting Re-let but require work doing in them first, If WDH were more selective with some of the tenants they put in it could be a good estate, after all the houses are not that old its just some residents wreck them but they’d also wreck the new houses

It's not just a matter of tenants not looking after the properties, the houses are riddled with damp due to inadequate heating, rotting doors and windows and no insulation, which WDH seem to think is acceptable and refuse to do anything about.

Whistleblower

« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2010, 04:01:44 pm »

It's not just a matter of tenants not looking after the properties, the houses are riddled with damp due to inadequate heating, rotting doors and windows and no insulation, which WDH seem to think is acceptable and refuse to do anything about.
I agree but when a property becomes empty the more money WDH have to spend on repairs due to bad tenants then there’s less money in the pot to spend on other things. As soon as a property comes empty all the windows get smashed and the copper pipes and cylinder get nicked, obviously WDH has to pay for this  Smiley
yetion1
Administrator

READY

« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2010, 07:37:14 pm »

No problem Simon. There are plenty of people around this forum who will gladly pass on info they can. Others may not comment but the word does spread.
Don’t worry about sat emails. At the end of the day they are and electronic timed record that has to gain a reply. The reply may be crap but no one said it was quick and easy. From time to time persistence pays off with little gems of info and small victories for the people.
Look at this forum as a diary that all can read. Yes that means the enemy can read also but they have to work to protocol (and it does p**s them off).
You sound half clued up Simon and have most of the ideas to start.
1.   Find the private owners and simply make contact. I think Glyn Leach owns down there. Not sure how to find all the owners but will ask.
2.   The Girnhill residents still find it usefull to be able to meet or talk to a contact. Invite the 3 district Cllrs to a meeting with WDH. There may only be one district Cllr now worth any confidence but they do have to respond. There are 2 community groups near you that could arrange or you could go alone. Whatever is comfortable.
3.   Write a letter to the freedom of information office at WMDC and WDH asking who owns what. Each would have to tell what each owns at least.

As for WMDC/ WDH your thoughts are not floored. As it goes WMDC bought over the last 100 years thousands of properties with our public tax money. They then gave them away for FREE (possible 1p) to a housing association called WDH. The fact a housing association is not a “business” so far appears the get out (stock transfer).
Yes WMDC are now buying back with our tax money the houses they gave away from WDH in order to end their means (and they called the Krays dodgy).
The buying history on prices goes like this. 5 years ago my friend got £23k for his home on Girnhill. That was after valuations of £70k. Now there are only a few residents (there will be a magic number) offers are being made at the valuation price and not the WMDC valuation price. Tell them to shove £40k if it comes. The president is now set by the remaining Girnhill residents at full market price. That’s one small gift from the years of suffering until now from the Girnhill residents.
Pages: 1 2 3 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum