Featherstone Make a Difference Forum
March 29, 2024, 04:23:38 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Featherstone Public Houses

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Featherstone Public Houses  (Read 4615 times)
seneca bond

« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2011, 10:07:36 pm »

Another one bites the dust. Any bets for how many houses they can build? Sad

I went to the Ozzie on it's opening night 1968 I think. It was a very smart place back then.

the working mens' clubs have more or less bitten the dust with the exception of the correr and the green lane.

Staring at the top was Old Featherstone Working Mens' club. Over the bar was a plaque commemorating a member who died in a Japanese prisoner of of war camp
further down was the Rat Trap, also recently demolished. Ironically its predecessor still exists over the road from where it was.
then there was the Green lane. I remember being in there once when the committee office caught fire in the middle of a bingo game. It was always smoky in there and nobody noticed the difference. The fire brigade showed up and the bingo players were livid at having their game interrupted.

Then there was the blood tub, still in existance as the featherstone number one club. There was always something wild and woolly about the blood tub. It was on the edge of town with . It was called the blood tub because of the violence that took place there. Seneca Bond and his brother wouild attack eac h other with pokers. They's sit at opposite corners of the room seething with resentment and getting drunker until the bubble burst.
then there was the central. I was a member there-number 1214. I loved it on a Sunday dinner time: a couple of pints in the company of my uncles.

then there was the correr. For some reason I've never set foot in it.
There used to be a wmc in Purston Park before my time. It was the crow's nest. It had a bad reputation as a drinking den. My grtand dad was a member there
Report Spam   Report to moderator   Logged

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum