Featherstone Make a Difference Forum
March 29, 2024, 04:35:18 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Girnhill Lane Archived News 4

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Girnhill Lane Archived News 4  (Read 4593 times)
Mr T

« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2008, 05:13:10 pm »

Apparently, whilst looking at the plans at Chesney's on Wednesday, someone from Strata told a resident, "These are only the plans, nothing has been finalized yet". Interesting! They don't want finalizing either!  Angry

POST BY WILLOW
If thats chopper's house then that must be my old house going up next door.

REPLY BY MR T
Yes your right Willow, Your wallpaper is a little scorched somewhat!   

Report Spam   Report to moderator   Logged

"I PITY THE FOOL"
Willow

« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2008, 10:16:44 am »

I never liked that wallpaper anyway Grin Still a bit gutted that the house burnt though had some good times in that house and number 6.
Mr T

« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2008, 06:01:01 pm »

The demolition team have brought a second digger on site, and are now demolishing two houses simultaneously! Unfortunately, this means they now have two skips burning at the different sites on the estate and are leaving them burning when they leave! As expected, yobs have been around tonight and chucked stuff on them, causing them to start roaring away again, and one of them was attended to by the fire brigade! Why are these skips not being extinguished before they leave? Another incident which occured last night (Sun 14th) was yobs going around the estate, spraying graffiti on things including boarded up houses which still have residents living next door! One of the diggers was also sprayed! I have included a photo! Does anyone recognize the tag?

"I PITY THE FOOL"
Whistleblower

« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2008, 06:26:01 pm »

It seems that because the demolition crew are working for the council they are able to get away with leaving properties unsecured and fires unattended despite the estate been subject to numerous arson attacks. Surely this is against health and safety procedure ?? but then again its probably easer for them to demolish the property if the roofs have been burnt off.
yetion1
Administrator

READY

« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2008, 09:31:07 pm »

Mrs J Howley
Housing and public protection
Newton bar
Wakefield
West York’s
Wf1 2tx

12/15/2008

Dear Janet

RE THE GIRNHILL ESTATE

You are aware demolition commenced again last Monday. I made you aware when we talked face to face last week at the public that the new contractor was not keeping to any rules or instruction from WMDC regards security and demolition procedure that had been gained from previous knowledge especially of the Featherstone serial arsonist. I have visited the site for the period and on each day I have found mainly missing shutters or badly fitted ones. Nothing has been done to stop the mal-practise. Additionally the contractors have been using skips to burn rubbish. I would like to point out that the fires are left at night un-attended. I would also like to point out

WHO IS THE PERSON RESPONSIBLE FOR LEAVING A LIT TORCH FOR A 300+ SERIAL ARSONIST? IS NO ONE PAYING ANY ATTENTION?

The fire brigade must have put him off tonight as he tried to do the Kwiksave building instead.

My many other points regard the condition of the roads, drains and street lighting still are current. After all this time and the huge volume of similar situations as per each contractor surely WMDC are failing in their duty of care for the residents.

Regards
Mr T

« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2008, 07:50:21 pm »

TUESDAY 16TH DECEMBER

Tonight the estate has experienced a double whammy! An "UNSECURE" block on Hawthorne Avenue (which, If I may add was reported as being unsecure) was torched and whilst this was going up, A second "UNSECURE" block round the corner was also going up in smoke, (and yes, that too was also reported as being unsecure). I won't be posting the footage on here as there isn't anything new to see, apart from there is two houses in one take as apposed to one! I will be uploading it to my online diary in due course as usual (Tomorrow), so if anyone does want to see it, you will find it at the usual address labeled "Tuesday 16th December"

WWW.YOUTUBE.COM/MRTSFORUMVIDEOS

"I PITY THE FOOL"
Greencatcher

« Reply #46 on: December 16, 2008, 10:10:33 pm »

TUESDAY 16TH DECEMBER

Tonight the estate has experienced a double whammy! An "UNSECURE" block on Hawthorne Avenue (which,
Well, after all that we had a visit from the CID, yes I know....I did not believe it at first neither.  Now we have no water. So after all the banging and vibrating, the mud and the traffic, the noisy workmen that we had to put up with all b****y day, I cannot get either a bath or shower.  Okay small rant over.
yetion1
Administrator

READY

« Reply #47 on: December 16, 2008, 10:17:39 pm »

Mrs J Howley
Newton bar
Wakefield
West York’s
Wf1 2tx

16/12/2008

Dear Janet

RE THE GIRNHILL ESTATE

As you can see from the dates a reply without your response being obtained has now had to be written 24 hours later due to an estate of kayos yet again as predicted.
I informed you and other officials yesterday by receipted mail that mal-practice was evident with physical evidence regards the demolition procedure that was being under taken and monitored by you at WMDC on the estate. I also informed you that arson would occur and probably from our serial arsonist. How ironic that while attending 2 criminal acts in the lane last night I discovered a bonfire built at the rear door of the Kwiksave burning merrily. In Featherstone English,

“WE REARLY DO HAVE A SERIAL ARSONIST IN FEATHERSTONE AND WE THINK WE KNOW WHO IT IS!”, so lets cut the under 18 crap after 78 homes on the estate alone burnt.

At 4pm today the contactors had left the site. They not only had not been informed at all since last Thursday of their wrong doings by WMDC but instead took a new step backwards by leaving shutters off the doors and windows to 2 twin properties. Just to rub it in they left the back doors unlocked and wide open. A neon sign was all that was missing to make it just perfect for the arsonist.
At 4.23pm today I contacted your office and spoke to Bob Hall as you had gone home. I reported to Bob that the 2 blocks were left un-secure and that if they were not secured they would be burnt tonight. I explained to Bob about the serial arsonist and that immediate action must take place as a duty of care to the surrounding residents.
Well it looks like yet again for the umpteenth recorded time mine and others words were ignored.
“CAN YOU IGNORE THIS ANYMORE” as it looks like the volume of neglect is such that outside help now may be brought in to police the situation. A bold statement perhaps, but lets look at the consequences of tonight,

1.   4 properties on fire resulting in freighted local residents and an attraction for undesirable groups to view the area and hang out.
2.   4 properties burning within 15 minutes of each other that together cause enough smoke to choke a quarter of the population of Featherstone. The wind direction tonight blew the smoke up station lane and was thick enough to be felt at the back of your throat as a plastic burning taste. This is half a mile away. The smoke also was that thick that vision was lowered on the main roads and did hinder a criminal incident because of the lowered vision.
3.   Immediate residents to the fires now have smoke smelling homes. At this point and due to lack of action it would be very fair to say this could be the work of a bully. Will WMDC be providing air fresheners for those effected or providing gas masks as the situation continues? A fair question as the facts state this will continue.  Every house touched by demolition will be subject to arson. It is reasonable that the locals be provided with breathing apparatus as the volume of arson is such that the air quality is such that intervention is required. An air pollution monitor should possibly be provided immediately for reference by WMDC as any possible legal action possibly forth coming that would seek reference from this letter would ask to what was done to this notification.
4.   4 fire appliances on site leaving the 5 towns uncovered. My personal view yet alone any other incident is that if my occupied home was on fire I would be domed even though I am in sight. Of the appliances. All this because some one is not listening.

To add further during the day the contractor severed a water main that shot a jet of water in the air. I am not aware that Yorkshire water was informed as they have not as yet visited the site. I state to you that a situation is present where it is questionable that a water pressure fault could arise over the Christmas period thus disconnecting or reducing the supply to the local residents. It would appear that the contractor is a total incompetent. I will not ask you to tell them again. I will be approaching the contractor in the morning with a camera where I will explain exactly how “CRAP “ they are and what they caused tonight to make sure the message gets over.

In brief it looks tonight like the residents HAVE been left to burn in “GIRNHELL”. Immediate action should be called upon.
Some one at WMDC is responsible for not monitoring this situation after regular notification. Surely this situation is serious enough that the BLAME must be given and some one must be penalised. This offence is serious enough for the contractor and /or the person at WMDC responsible to be sacked?
 At 9.50pm tonight by WMDC request men are boarding up the burnt out houses. The residents have voiced a grimacing disgust at the action. It would be fair to say that the boarding up will be costing us the tax payer a pretty big bill. I would like to know this cost or where I can apply to get the information under the freedom of information act.  All that was needed was an all ready paid member or members of WMDC to listen and get off their ASS. Instead yet again our town is made to suffer from shoddy practice.

Your reply would be welcome almost immediately as peoples health is officially at stake and the public require a resolution.

i wonder if this Greencatchers water problem?
Mr T

« Reply #48 on: December 17, 2008, 06:25:51 pm »

After the double arson attack last night, it's unbelievable what's happened today! One of the contractors has been in to one of them doing something (with the services I believe) and they have resecured it by placing a slab of concrete in front of the shutter! Can you believe it? I'm not sure if they have put any screws back in, but the appearance of a slab of concrete would suggest that it can't be that secure! I have included the video from last night's fiasco along with a second video underneath! As I have been typing this, the fire brigade have gone whizzing by, so I put this post on hold and went to see what was going on and you will see what in the second video! A picture of the concrete holding the shutter down is also included in this post!

THE DOUBLE ARSON ATTACK

THE INCIDENT WHICH INTERRUPTED ME DOING THIS POST

THE SLAB OF CONCRETE

"I PITY THE FOOL"
Forkhandles

« Reply #49 on: December 17, 2008, 06:40:39 pm »

The thing thats worrying me mrT, is, when theres no more houses on girnhill to fire, where are the arsonists going to go Shocked Shocked
yetion1
Administrator

READY

« Reply #50 on: December 17, 2008, 07:36:07 pm »

The rest of Featherstone IS the answer, yet no one listens. The Kwiksave almost went up on Monday night. A fire had been built up on to the back door.
Forkhandles

« Reply #51 on: December 17, 2008, 08:27:11 pm »

Has anyone asked the question at the police meetings, why they are not doing anything to catch the serial arsonist Sad
yetion1
Administrator

READY

« Reply #52 on: December 17, 2008, 09:08:15 pm »

Mrs J Howley
Newton bar
Wakefield
West York’s
Wf1 2tx

17/12/2008

Dear Janet

RE THE GIRNHILL ESTATE

My third letter in 3 days, not my choice I assure you but as a continuing necessity to make you aware of public health and safety issues caused by badly organised WMDC administration.
I still have had no reply other than a receipt from Janet Howley. With this being the case I have had to chase the matter myself. As I stated I attended the site at 2pm today. I have pictures and film of a HGV blocking a pavement and 3 entrances on to muddy land that created a layer of wet mud on the roads surrounding. A skid patch is a good description. The temporary wooden boarding fitted after the fires late last night to secure the burnt out shells at the cost of the tax payers was still in place and looked like no attempt had been made to remove them by anyone and replace with the original metal sheets. I assumed this would be done before the end of the day but I had a bad feeling they were going to stay. Wood is flammable and combustible and surely not suitable for the arson area. I am sure the WMDC inspectors who said they were on site this morning have pointed out that wood useless and asked for its removal?
I then contacted WMDC to speak again to Bob Hall. Bob was not available and I spoke to Dave Jones. I explained the situation from the beginning to him. He was aware of some detail but was notably taken back that 4 houses had indeed been burnt in one night not to mention Girnhill Infants School at the side. I asked why nothing had been done to secure the buildings after I had pointed out that arson was certain if not? No reply could be given. I asked for Bob to call me back.
Bob returned my call.

Me “why after you were notified and agreed to contact the contractor to re-fit shutters was nothing done to secure the buildings from known arson attacks?”
Bob “what do you expect me to do?”
Me “do what you said you were going to do as some one answering a complaint on behalf of WMDC”.
Bob “what do you expect the council to do? We do not have the resources to do the work”.
Me “then why did you have the resources at 10.50pm last night to pay for the boarding up of burnt out shells? As a tax payer is it not correct that if you had done what you said you would then it would have been at the cost of the contractor? Instead is it now not correct that due to bad administration of the handling of the Girnhill estate situation that I a tax payer is paying a bill with the added bonus of living in plastic smoke for another night? The estate has needed 24 hour police on site for at least 2 years. The fact is that when a contractor starts work the houses burn down as if by magic in order of demolition. 2 years of full written and photographed documentation. The duty of care to these people is being ignored.”
Bob “it is not possible to police the site.”
Me “you created it, is there no plan. The local term is “residents left to rot”.
Bob “the site will be inspected tonight after the contractor has gone to check for security”.
Me  “I will go myself and check your checks and let you know”.

I checked the shutters at 4.45pm and found wood still in place and some metal covers still poorly fixed. The best example would be the front door of one of the houses that had burnt last night. The front metal shutter is wedged with concrete slabs. Did WMDC send a trainee to do tonight’s inspection? Do I have to tell you the security shutters are incorrect every day until they are?
Going back to comments that WMDC cannot secure the area, the problem has not stopped.

At 5.30 pm tonight a fire was started in the garden. The fire service attended.
 At 6.10pm 2 males were seen with a ladder, trolley and hammer in the area of the fire. The police were seen in a car on station lane. After driving behind the police car for 4 street flashing my headlight they finally pulled over. I instructed them of the males and they made of and found them. It’s early yet and I am sure there will be more to add.
I ask again that the Girnhill situation be looked at again. Last night some one some how had enough power to order instant costly works and man power. I think it only right that this power be used to put a full stop to this plight. Even the press I have spoken to today have found it hard to believe 4 houses in 1 night with a prior warning never mind the other 69 buildings.
yetion1
Administrator

READY

« Reply #53 on: December 17, 2008, 09:24:44 pm »

Whistleblower

« Reply #54 on: December 17, 2008, 09:26:24 pm »

It appears that wmdc are drastically failing in there duty to the public, I wouldn’t employ people like Bob Hall and Janet Howley as they have a “couldn’t care less” attitude, I wonder what the health and safety executive would think of this ?. Mr Yetion1 I take my hat off to you, you are doing a fine job for these people, keep up the good work  Wink Smiley Has any plans been published yet on the proposed redevelopment  Huh
Mr T

« Reply #55 on: December 18, 2008, 05:19:53 pm »

The arsonist has struck again tonight, but from where I was, I couldn't see exactly where the fire was and what was burning. All I know is, it had that rubbery toxic smell to it and it was sparking well and illuminating houses nearby on Verner! There is a possibilty that the fire was on Verner and not Girnhill, but with all the empty space around here, it's more than likely it was on Girnhill. I think the remaining residents should all be supplied with Baco-Foil suits & Gas masks! What do you think yetion1? Shall we ask the council if they can supply them for us? If I find out exactly what and where, I will fill you in unless someone else can shed some light on it!

"I PITY THE FOOL"
yetion1
Administrator

READY

« Reply #56 on: December 18, 2008, 08:21:13 pm »

Mrs J Howley
Newton bar
Wakefield
West York’s
Wf1 2tx

18/12/2008

Dear Janet

RE THE GIRNHILL ESTATE

I was really hoping that a forth letter in 4 days would not be necessary. The “GirnHELL” demands again that it is.
This letter must be in two parts.

Firstly I would like to praise a member of WMDC staff and his department. Separately to writing to you with my valid concerns I also contacted the highways department. It has given me and others great pleasure to actually see someone turn up, look at the situation and then decide without prejudice and with peoples safety first that the contactors are creating safety issues.  With great professionalism he enforced council and English law by having the area cleaned as should be by the contractors under contract. This person could not have conducted himself better. Please can we have more of him in other departments as the “HELL” continues?

The second part of this letter is to inform you again of arson. That’s 4 arson attacks in 4 days. As for the estate nothing much has changed. After today’s demolition shutters are still badly fitted and still include wood in an arson and crow bar zone. The arsonist is still at large and tonight must have known it was going to rain so he started early. Tonight’s fire was at about 4.35pm. The fire service attended. Not a house tonight just a pile of toxic plastic and rubber. Much of the area including Verner Street was covered in thick black choking smoke. I have asked all ready that breathing apparatus should be issued. This was not a sarcastic comment I assure you just fact. The pollution levels are constantly above dangerous in the area. WMDC cannot provide 24 hour security to stop the problem as they have stated. If we were at war the public would be issued gas masks. The estate is at war so please can they all be issued with them.
The problem is going to continue. Again I state that I write to you to report and request action to criminal acts beyond the norm. The excuse of “we were not notified” at least cannot be thrown back at the residents if each every arson is reported to you when it could have been stopped.
yetion1
Administrator

READY

« Reply #57 on: December 19, 2008, 07:26:14 pm »

I have met with various members of staff in respect of your e-mails and would report as follows:

When your first e-mail arrived on Monday, discussions with NPS took place to confirm the exact contract obligations for the demolition process. There was considerable discussion around the securing of empty properties, and how these can remain secure under current conditions.  It is necessary for the demolition contractor to enter properties to undertake final checks prior to demolition beginning.  I agree that these properties require re-securing unless demolition is going to take place immediately.  There was contact with the contractor in respect of the concerns raised, and the required standards of operation were reinforced. 

Upon receipt of your second e-mail, Housing Officers and NPS visited the Estate and as a result the contract conditions were again reinforced in person.  The following action points were agreed with the contractor:

-    the contractor is not now to have any fires on site
-    all properties that have steel sheeting removed for inspections are re-secured before the contractor leaves site for the day.
-    NPS and Housing Officers are undertaking spot checks to ensure that this is occuring.

The contractor has confirmed that this latest round of demolition will complete at approximately the end of January 09

I would state that no securing system is designed to stand up to the continual abuse that the screens have received, and ultimately if individuals are determined to get in there is little that can prevent it.  We have found evidence of individuals breaking through block work to access properties.  I would add that there has been much speculation that fires assist the demolition programme, and that there has been a strategy of leaving properties open to support this.  I would state definitively that this is false, and fire damaged properties are more difficult and costly to remove, as they have to be treated as contaminated waste.  It is simply not in the Council's interest to encourage the properties being burnt out, and ensuring residents' safety is a priority.  Please bear in mind that residents felt that the demolition of empty properties was the best course of action, as leaving empty properties and the associated problems these bring is not an option.  The Council has done everything possible to remove empty properties speedily to try and minimise the difficulties.

With respect to the condition of the road, Housing and NPS officers were on site yesterday to ensure that the promised road sweeper attended and cleaned the road.  They also observed that the operatives were hand sweeping.  Regular road sweeping has been pre-booked at regular intervals for during the demolition work, but this will be monitored in case additional cleans are required during the winter weather.  The HGV blocking the pavement is a necessity as they remove the rubble and waste from site, but such occurences are as short lived as is possible, and there are no other alternatives if the waste is to be removed. 

With respect to the disruption in water supply, the contractor works closely with service providers to ensure that these are removed and shut off prior to demolition.  However, when the Estate was built in the 1950s no drawings were kept and the exact location of some services is not fully known, which can cause difficulties.  We were not aware that the water service had been cut - however in such circumstances, the contractor takes immediate steps to ensure that any disruption is as short lived as possible, and that the integrity of the supply is restored without longer term problems.  Working with the service providers is a key aspect of this.

Re the arson attacks, you make reference to knowing who it is.  I must stress that arson is a criminal activity and as such must be reported to the Police in order that they can investigate and take appropriate action.  I appreciate anxieties at the number of fires being set but there is also a local responsibility for residents to assist the Police in dealing with criminal activity, as the Council cannot deal with this alone.  We have no information in respect of the suspected identity of the individual(s) concerned and any other information provided by residents has been passed through to the Police.  Information can also be passed by e-mail to antisocialbehaviour@wakefield.gov.uk

The securing work through Housing has been allocated to a local company to ensure that securing work can be done as quickly as possible.  However, this company does not operate a 24 hour call out system, and they attend as quickly as they are able.  Residents have been provided with the Council's One-Call number several times so that they can report any open properties that they have concerns about, out of hours.  The contact number for one call is 0845 8 506 506. The WMDC operatives that attended on the 16th December would have been from our One-Call service - however they only deal with out of hours emergency work.  I have not been advised as to what the cost of this yet.  The order for our screening company to attend the open properties you had reported was placed on the afternoon of the 15th December, and the company attended as quickly as they were able.

The Council is paying for nightly patrols (5 per night) 7 days per week.  However these patrollers have no powers to arrest, and when they come across anti social behaviour, they report it immediately to the Police.  They cannot perform any other function than to be an additional eyes and ears on the Estate at night.  The Police expressed concerns when discussions around security presence took place.  Their view was that as these individuals have no legal powers, that they could be at risk, which would ultimately mean that the Police merely have additional persons to protect.  Their role is merely to act as an early warning to get the Police if required.  The Council continues to discuss the ongoing situation with the Fire Service and any suggestions made by them are implemented.  Again I would stress that what is occuring is criminal activity, and action is taken when information provided allows.

With respect to your comment around the estate needing 24 hour policing, the Police do not have the resources to provide this service, and have stated that they are doing everything in their power to tackle the anti social behaviour; however this is very difficult especially as local information is limited.

I believe that the Council is doing everything in its power to maintain residents' health and safety in what are extremely difficult conditions.  If residents have any additional suggestions of other measures that would assist, please let us know and we will do our best to implement them.  We appreciate that residents are the best people to report on local incidents and if there are any views as to handle matters better, we will be happy to look at any suggestions made.

With reference to your comments around street lighting and highways, I responded in full in my previous e-mail, but would confirm that the situation continues to be monitored.

Janet Howley
Regeneration Manager
Development and Strategic Housing
Room D34
Newton Bar
Leeds Road
Wakefield  WF1 2TX
01924 305917
e-mail jhowley@wakefield.gov.uk
yetion1
Administrator

READY

« Reply #58 on: December 19, 2008, 09:10:03 pm »

this weeks Guardian has a good piece in it,

http://www.mpldigital.com/chronicle-publications/wakefield-guardian/83/6
Willow

« Reply #59 on: December 19, 2008, 09:44:38 pm »

Didn't know you lived up there Yetion 1.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum