Featherstone Make a Difference Forum
April 19, 2024, 11:59:06 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Girnhill Lane Archived News 4

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Girnhill Lane Archived News 4  (Read 4649 times)
yetion1
Administrator

READY

« on: November 03, 2008, 06:58:38 pm »

Reply from WMDC,

I have checked with colleagues re your previous e-mail - apologies for the lack of  follow up response.  It appears that there was a cross in communication, as I believed they were contacting you, and vice versa.  I have now collated the information from other departments in respect of the points raised in your previous e-mail.

Electricity supply and power cables.

I am not aware of supplies being disrupted in spite of regular contact with many residents on the Estate.  There were a small number of temporary disruptions during the removal of some services - this was in some cases as a result of an over-zealous contractor who did not appreciate that residents were still in situ.  Where problems were identified, immediate action was taken to remedy.  Following your previous e-mail I did visit the site with NPS and walked every demolished plot looking for live cables.  We did inspect a number of cables but all of these were extinct - we did not find any evidence of any live cables.  However, if you have more specific information in respect of your reported concerns I will forward this on to NPS for further investigation

Street lighting

Street lighting  have responded as follows:  Street lighting is maintained to occupied properties in accordance with the Private Finance Initiative (PFI) contract, but where faults are attributable to service cables provided by YEDL/CE-Electric there is no enforceable contract with them to regulate or force them to repair services.  Service cable  faults  are reported to YEDL/CE-Electric for resolution.  Faults not involving YEDL electricity supplies are recorded and are dealt with by Amey in the appropriate time and manner as soon as they are become aware of them. Amey are to request inspections by night scouts in the area but it have stated that it is difficult to identify lights that are not service faults.

Re anti-vandal streetlights such streetlighting is not available for mounting on a column.  Street lighting colleagues have clarified that the only anti-vandal light available is the type used in subways and these are mounted at the junction of the wall and ceiling.  Many of the problems associated with the vandalism of lighting columns is as a result of violent shaking, and in some instances, being shot at.  They have further added that there isn’t a lantern on the market that will withstand sustained impacts from a high powered air rifle. In the past trials of new equipment that was allegedly “vandal proof” with little or no noticeable improvement in performance for the increase in cost.

Street lighting colleagues have confirmed that the new lighting throughout WMDC area have in the main been installed to current EU standards and except for the demolition in this area these streetlights would have been upgraded to this standard.  However the new EU standard does include a reference to the old British Standard to which the existing streetlights were installed and in this situation it would be difficult to justify changing the lighting to meet the new standard. The lighting standard has no reference to the sustainability of the electric supply however this is achieved.

I am concerned that you are reporting that the estate is now in almost "total darkness" and shall ask Street lighting colleagues to again investigate  to clarify if columns are in fact faulty or being repeatedly targetted following repairs.   If this is the case, I am unsure as to what action can be taken to improve the level of lighting on the Estate, so would need to defer to lighting colleagues for further guidance.

Gullies

Highways have reported that the rubble used was a 'make safe' response in response to the theft of gully lide.  Generally, where there will ultimately be redevelopment, a new lid may not be fitted.  Instead, the pot may be filled with a single size dust free aggregate which would still allow drainage to take place.  Highways reported that they would check that these arrangements were working appropriately.

Re potholes, a range of works were identified following a tour in August.  Following your previous e-mail, a further visit was undertaken and further actionable defects were found.  There were issues for rectification and should have now been completed.  Regular safety surveys are continuint whilst ever the highway network remains adopted.

I trust that this full answers your previous enquiry.  I have copied in colleagues in Highways, Street Lighting and NPS for any further comments.  I am concerned in respect of your comments about a resident's fears of bullying and reprisals as this is certainly not the approach taken by Council Officers.  We have previously had contact with a number of residents who have had concerns about bullying and reprisals - sadly these concerns have been about some of their neighbours and our approach has been to carry out our contacts in such a way as to not attract attention and worsen the situation.  I would be obliged if you would pass this information on to your resident for any future enquiries.

Regards

Janet Howley
Report Spam   Report to moderator   Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum