Featherstone Make a Difference Forum
March 29, 2024, 01:34:20 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Old places you used to go in Fev

Pages: 1 2 3 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Old places you used to go in Fev  (Read 2982 times)
ABBOO

"The King"

« on: April 12, 2008, 11:29:04 pm »

Can anybody remermber the gauses and the Mill pond before the houses were built, and the tip and the wreckers yard near Huntwick wood.  Used to have many a hour over there playing chicken jumping the becks and all the rest. Grin Grin Grin
Report Spam   Report to moderator   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Forkhandles

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2008, 11:58:33 am »

Mill pond was the first place i ever went fishing Grin
yetion1
Administrator

READY

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 08:37:10 pm »

hope these remind you of happy days,

Forkhandles

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 09:59:34 pm »

The end cottage in the bottom picture is where i was born Grin

Ps, i think they were owned by copleys, the farmers.
ABBOO

"The King"

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 10:37:46 pm »

The top picture is where we used to live number 14 earl street at the side of the green lane w.m.c and that was a long time ago. Grin Grin Grin
karen

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2008, 09:45:15 pm »

dident the streets look so clean there
Forkhandles

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2008, 10:18:29 pm »

dident the streets look so clean there
Thats true karen, there were no take aways then, only fish oils Grin
ABBOO

"The King"

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2008, 10:43:12 pm »

There was more than fish oils Forkhandles there were vegetable shops as well and it was politeness and everybody looked out for everybody else and there was respect no matter where you came from or what background. Grin Grin Cheesy Cheesy  Smiley
karen

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2008, 05:21:23 pm »

was that when you was able to ave your door open or your bikes left out side when evryone knew who lived next door
Forkhandles

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2008, 08:08:38 pm »

Who's the old lady in the photo Grin
yetion1
Administrator

READY

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2008, 08:45:54 pm »

I am told that she was the Featherstone gypsy? That’s as much as I know. I was hoping some one had met her and could tell a tale.
The guy who gave me the picture told me about another gypsy that lived near the half moon lake. He had a disfigured face received in the war. When he died they burnt his caravan where it stood. This was apparently what they did back then.
fevlad

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2008, 10:16:07 pm »

The lady in the photo was called Ruth, she lived with her brother, in a caravan at the side of the top house in the car park, if you look behind her through the window, you can see the pit yard buildings
Forkhandles

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2008, 10:33:06 am »

There was another old lady used to live in a hut down the broomhills lane, when she died the hut was brought to the farm where it was used as a storage shed, now then, do any of you know where broomhills lane is, no prizes for the first to answer correctly Grin Grin
yetion1
Administrator

READY

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2008, 06:07:59 pm »

nice one fevlad. you can see the buildings in the window. ironic as they are just about to be pulled down.

as for broomhills lane, was it behind the church at north featherstone?
Citizen Smith
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2008, 06:46:56 pm »

There was another old lady used to live in a hut down the broomhills lane, when she died the hut was brought to the farm where it was used as a storage shed, now then, do any of you know where broomhills lane is, no prizes for the first to answer correctly Grin Grin

I seem to remember that the "broomhills" or "brummels" was down Parkfield Lane which ran between the Bradley Arms and Ernest Copleys farm. The field at the end of the lane was always referred to by that name. It was the summer grazing for Copleys milking beasts!

Maybe I have got the wrong place but a similar name.
Forkhandles

« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2008, 07:38:24 pm »

Thats spot on mate, wish i'd a bob for every time i've walked the beast up that lane, the winter of 63-64 we had to dig our way through the snow to get to the beasts we were overwintering down there, and there were no super duper thermal clothing then, we had to make do with whatever old overcoat we could find around the place, and stuff hay down our wellies to keep our feet warm Grin
yetion1
Administrator

READY

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2008, 10:39:04 pm »

Another great picture passed to me by the son of one of the people in the picture. The picture is taken in the " top of the knob" club, north Featherstone. I have 3 names George Mahon, Boozer Hughes and Harold Hawkins. I think Boozer is the one in the middle with the ring. By all accounts he almost lived in the club he was there so much.

Forkhandles

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2008, 11:41:02 am »

I remember jud mahon well, he was a right old character Grin
floss

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2008, 08:22:43 pm »

Hi to all featherstonians so happy i found this site (via facebook) i am so intrigued with the photos on old places you used to go in Fev  I also lived in earle street i was born there and stayed right up until they pulled it down. As for the gypsy caravan well that was a blast from the past good and proper it was kept at the back of Ossies scrapyard me and my siblings used to actually go and sit in there i remember it being so fab, i was ony a kid and it was like a magical place, we had to sit only wasn't allowed to play as ossie said the gypsy would get us if we misbehaved lol but my god it feared the living daylights out of us and yes we was good didn't move  we daren't lol. i do hope more old photos are put on here i love looking at the past well time to carry on browsing ,thank you for creating this site i will try and use it as much as i can.........   
yetion1
Administrator

READY

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2008, 08:36:50 pm »

Welcome Floss. glad you are enjoying the pictures. if you have any to add just ask if you need help getting them on. ozzy was a great guy from the old school. his grave stone picture is listed under "all saints church" Grin

Pages: 1 2 3 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum