Featherstone Make a Difference Forum
March 29, 2024, 12:09:45 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Featherstone Memories

Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Featherstone Memories  (Read 1473 times)
belle

« on: March 15, 2009, 08:55:42 pm »

Having read through the topics of people remembering particular shops, events or places in Featherstone ..my memories are slightly different, my fondest memories of Featherstone are those of my younger years. The years where all the Children in my street are playing happily together without the fighting , the trouble causing to others and the vandalism ! The memories of riding up and down the street on your bikes and being shouted in for Lunch by the parents ..at which time you would abandon your bike in the street to go back out an hour later ..and your bike STILL be there !!!! As a teenager feeling safe and at ease walking up Station Lane to the shops and feeling safe walking home after dark.

In short i guess the whole community had changed maybe not for the better...and i know theres probably going to be lots of replies to this saying the "community spirit" is still here and strong , and im sure it is , however its not just that im speaking about ..its the bigger picture. The people today are not as friendly or as neighbourly as i remember them. The children are not as innocent and playful as i was. There is indeed more unemployed, more drug users and dealers , and definately more children having children ! I realise this is happening not just in Featherstone but coutrywide, however i dont remember as many drug users or dealers, they were something that you hardly ever heard of , and childred having children was extremely rare !!!

I have the foundest memories of growing up in Featherstone, and i have enjoyed every bit of my childhood here, however i can see a huge difference, and i can also see the people fighting to make it better..but honestly im not sure it will get much better !! which is a shame as when my child arrives into the world i would love them to have the same good memories as i have  growing up in such a great community and it scares me that he/she may not !!!
Report Spam   Report to moderator   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

yetion1
Administrator

READY

« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 08:52:13 pm »

Just found this and thought it the right place to post. Click on the link to view.

Forkhandles

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2009, 09:04:42 pm »

That was excellent gareth Grin Grin
fevlad

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2009, 10:30:59 pm »

And a fev lad singing it as well.... our anns lad glynn
Forkhandles

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2009, 01:46:49 pm »

And a fev lad singing it as well.... our anns lad glynn

Did'ny know he was annes lad mate Grin
Orien

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 08:40:43 pm »

Here's the picture I've been trying to upload since I joined the site.  I can see it in the preview now so it should be OK in the post.  I remember the day well but cannot put names to the faces.

fevlad

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 09:00:20 pm »

not right sure of first but from him l-r , tommy smales(ians dad, not the junction one), brian wrigglesworth, les tonks and mick smith
fevborn

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2011, 09:51:32 pm »

First on the left is Vaughan Thomas
Orien

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2011, 10:45:11 pm »

Hard isn't it? Me and my brother were trying to name these a few weeks ago and thought this site might help us. We got left to right,
Unknown, unknown, Arnie Morgon, Mal Dixon, Unknown.

It's a shame because when we were 12 and 14 these were our heroes.
fevlad

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2011, 03:18:24 pm »

i'm 49 and still believe anyone that has pulled a fev shirt on is a hero
seneca bond

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2011, 03:25:19 pm »

sometimes I think the word hero is overused.

people who play a game aren't heros
Orien

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2011, 11:15:19 pm »

Concerning the term hero I agree with fevlad. I have a couple of reasons for saying this.

The first is that I am proud of being born and bred in Featherstone and I recall that when I watched the rugby players I was aware that they could do something that I wasn't able to do  and that they did it with a certain strength of feeling. They also in some manner that I cannot really describe, but meant a lot to me, represented me. They also occasionally won and this meant a lot, in a sense their winning made me a winner. For me they are hero's because of this and because of their personal achievements. i personally have achieved little .

The second reason I agree with fevlad  is because his understanding of the word hero is very close to the original greek meaning.  In summary a hero is a man distinguished by exceptional courage and nobility and strength; (The courage and strength are there in the Featherstone rugby players without argument even if we have to debate about the nobility); a hero is also distinguished by being a principle character in any social event whether this be a war or a battle (and what is a rugby match if not a battle?) or a play or a political forum  A hero is evidenced by feats of great personal strength and endeavour. Enough said I think.
fevlad

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2011, 11:44:06 pm »

sometimes I think the word hero is overused.

people who play a game aren't heros

Tell that to Frank Townsend and Chris Sandersons family ....
seneca bond

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2011, 08:23:07 am »

Concerning the term hero I agree with fevlad. I have a couple of reasons for saying this.

The first is that I am proud of being born and bred in Featherstone and I recall that when I watched the rugby players I was aware that they could do something that I wasn't able to do  and that they did it with a certain strength of feeling. They also in some manner that I cannot really describe, but meant a lot to me, represented me. They also occasionally won and this meant a lot, in a sense their winning made me a winner. For me they are hero's because of this and because of their personal achievements. i personally have achieved little .

The second reason I agree with fevlad  is because his understanding of the word hero is very close to the original greek meaning.  In summary a hero is a man distinguished by exceptional courage and nobility and strength; (The courage and strength are there in the Featherstone rugby players without argument even if we have to debate about the nobility); a hero is also distinguished by being a principle character in any social event whether this be a war or a battle (and what is a rugby match if not a battle?) or a play or a political forum  A hero is evidenced by feats of great personal strength and endeavour. Enough said I think.
words change their meaning time and time again with usage.
Stanley mathews was horrified when somebody described him as a hero.

I find it difficult to put people who play sport in the same category as firefighters, paramedics, people risking their lives in Afghanistan and so on.
Forkhandles

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2011, 06:43:30 pm »

I've always thought of a hero as being someone who risks their life for the sake of others,just my thoughts guys,having said that,theres also sporting heroes Grin
Whistleblower

« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2011, 06:49:26 pm »

I've always thought of a hero as being someone who risks their life for the sake of others,just my thoughts guys,having said that,theres also sporting heroes Grin
Thats my thoughts aswell  Smiley
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum